Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Which will give efficient performance? Use of Database view or Load & link in QVW

Hi,

I need to use data from 5 tables in Oracle Database. Assume that I do have access to create views in the database.

Which will give efficient performance (Speed in load and refresh)?

a. I create a single view making all necessary links of 5 tables. I load data straight from the view.

b. I load data from 5 tables individually and map/link in QVW (In case of automatic links not possible I need to map in QVW)

Regards,

KSP

2 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The speed of the refresh depends a lot on the indexing in the DB. So it is impossible to say which is faster.

Secondly, I am not sure that optimizing the script run is the best thing to do. Often it is better to optimize the QlikView data model so you get good respons times for the user. This is something you can read more about in my blog about joins: http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2012/09/12/to-join-or-not-to-join

HIC

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

KSP,

Totally agree with HIC. It takes lot of effort to optimize the DB. There are loads of external factors because there are other resources which are sharing the DB. And you can't optimize the DB unless you are owner/DBA and again it will have great impact on DB caching & execution plans. So I'd recommend you to play within QlikView. It's easy to test within QlikView. If your ODBC connection is taking long time then you need to lean on looking into the DB statistics.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com