Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Windows/Web I/O about Section Limitation

Hi QlikView Sir/Madam,

I'd like to ask, for example, I have a test.qvw file, its size is 10M, then I have some section Access setup in hidden script. Limit User A can view only half of data (5M). Then I using User A to open this file. What's the Windows/Web I/O Size? 10M or 5M?

Thanks a lot in advanced,

Vicky

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Vicky,

In short, what reducing in section access does is opening the whole copy of the document into memory, checking for the values related from section access table, then removing non related rows from memory. So the final accesible copy in memory of the document will have only the rows related and therefore, use less memory.

It's like when you open the document locally as admin, select one of the users, go to the File menu, then Reduce Data, Keep Possible Values, then save. The resulting document will use less space in disk, since it has been actually reduced.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Vicky,

In short, what reducing in section access does is opening the whole copy of the document into memory, checking for the values related from section access table, then removing non related rows from memory. So the final accesible copy in memory of the document will have only the rows related and therefore, use less memory.

It's like when you open the document locally as admin, select one of the users, go to the File menu, then Reduce Data, Keep Possible Values, then save. The resulting document will use less space in disk, since it has been actually reduced.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Miguel, I think I understand. Once open the .qvw file. The system fetch the whole copy to the memory.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Vicky,

Yes, the system fetches the whole copy, but then reduces and leaves only the subset of data that corresponds to each user depending on the reduction by section access. In your example, will leave the 5M dataset (reduced) instead of the 10M dataset (whole file).

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel