Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Not applicable

concatenating fields issue - one value not showing

I've got 2 fields: Project_ID and Seq_No

Both always have values and would never be a null

Simplified version:

LOAD 

       SEQ_NO

     , PROJECT_ID

     , SEQ_NO & '|' & PROJECT_ID AS [%My_Key]

It loads without errors, however the %My_Key values are not right

I see this:

SEQ_NO     PROJECT_ID     %My_Key

100024          W200                 |W200     <-- I am expecting "100024|W200".  All the SEQ_NO have gone missing

I've tried TEXT(SEQ_NO) & '|' & TEXT(PROJECT_ID) AS [%My_Key]

I've checked spellings, loading with just 1 field - when there is only Seq_No by itself, it works.  It doesn't like the "|" nor the Project_Id being tacked on.  What's its problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Re: concatenating fields issue - one value not showing

Thanks Tresesco, I've tried TEXT(SEQ_NO) but it was a different issue after all - I worked out what was eating it.  It's soooo obscure .

The problem was I used a "group by" and forgot to put the [%My_Key] in the "group by".  It never complained that anything was wrong though... so Qlikers, beware!!  If you get an issue like this, check your "GROUP BY".

Here is the code:

LOAD 

       SEQ_NO

     , PROJECT_ID

     , SEQ_NO & '|' & PROJECT_ID AS [%My_Key]

     , SUM(AMOUNT)

FROM MyQVD.QVD

(qvd)

GROUP BY

       SEQ_NO

     , PROJECT_ID

     , SEQ_NO & '|' & PROJECT_ID  <---- I forgot this

This was annoying -- hopefully, QlikView will put a warning in the next SR or show a syntax error.  Because in SQL, this wouldn't run.

2 Replies
MVP
MVP

Re: concatenating fields issue - one value not showing

Try using text(), like:

Text(SEQ_NO) & '|' & PROJECT_ID AS [%My_Key]

Not applicable

Re: concatenating fields issue - one value not showing

Thanks Tresesco, I've tried TEXT(SEQ_NO) but it was a different issue after all - I worked out what was eating it.  It's soooo obscure .

The problem was I used a "group by" and forgot to put the [%My_Key] in the "group by".  It never complained that anything was wrong though... so Qlikers, beware!!  If you get an issue like this, check your "GROUP BY".

Here is the code:

LOAD 

       SEQ_NO

     , PROJECT_ID

     , SEQ_NO & '|' & PROJECT_ID AS [%My_Key]

     , SUM(AMOUNT)

FROM MyQVD.QVD

(qvd)

GROUP BY

       SEQ_NO

     , PROJECT_ID

     , SEQ_NO & '|' & PROJECT_ID  <---- I forgot this

This was annoying -- hopefully, QlikView will put a warning in the next SR or show a syntax error.  Because in SQL, this wouldn't run.

Community Browser