Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

connect from a qvw to a qvw in the server and pull data

hi there,

maybe this is so simple that I just have the solution in front of my eyes, or maybe it is so stupid that it is simply not achievable....

Is it possible to pull data from a qvw stored in the server?

I can't seem to be able to use the qvp:// address anywhere, hence my question...

thank you

8 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You can only pull the entire data model from another qvw document using a Binary load.  Use:

Binary <file path>;

as the very first line in your script.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

I will second what Jason said, and add that you can only have one binary load, so if your data is scattered amongst several .qvw files, you won't be able to use that method.  Since this happens a lot to me, I use STORE commands in my data collection docs to dump the data to a file, which I can then grab whenever I need it from my load scripts elsewhere.

Not applicable
Author

Jason Michaelides wrote:

You can only pull the entire data model from another qvw document using a Binary load.  Use:

Binary <file path>;

as the very first line in your script.

meaning that I can use a qvp:// address as my file path?

Or just http / windows destination?

Thank you!

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

No - use the full UNC path \\server\share\folder\file.qvw

But note what Nick has said - using QVD files may be a better option for you.

Not applicable
Author

Jason Michaelides wrote:

No - use the full UNC path \\server\share\folder\file.qvw

But note what Nick has said - using QVD files may be a better option for you.

So, to make it error-free and morning-compliant

if the address showed in "open in server" is

qvp://remote-server/reports/sales.qvw

it should be as easy as

\\remote-server\reports\sales.qvw

I started recently taking advantage of QVD files and I have to say that I appreciate them very much.

But can I make a QVD of a qvw of which I do not have ownershipand/or editor authorisations, i.e. I can merely read it from the server?

thank you again for the valuable tips!

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

That path may or may not be correct!  I don't think the qvp path necessarily has to match the UNC path - it depends which folder has been mounted in the QMC (QlikView Management Console).  You may need to check with the server admin.

And if you don't have permission to access the QVW in the server, you probably won't be able to binary load it either as security is also loaded this way.

If you have access to the file in the QlikView Access Point you could see if the Download option is available?

Not applicable
Author

Donwload is greyed out, for all of the reports available in QV AP.

Thus I take it as, though I can open the server-located qvw in QV desktop, I cannot pull data out of it, unless I request authorisation, right?

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You can try and find the UNC path (try the same path as the qvp as you suggested above - it might work!).  Often you can access things this way (if the server admin hasn't done a great job of nailing down security...)

Otherwise I think you'll need to ask to access it properly.