Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

extracting info from a row in a csv.

Hello there

I have the following problem, i have a table with a column that looks like this

1. BMC Patrol Agent 3.9.00 on srv001601

2. Red Hat KVM Server 83 running on srv001352.mud.internal.co.za

3. Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1 identified as SRV001543 on srv001502

4. OdLetters-1.0.17:doc-was7-32-02

The only information I would like to extract from this is the srv_name, eg:

srv001601

srv001352

srv001502

the rest would be 'other'

This would be loaded as a list box with the srv_name and extra field 'other', where 'other' is the rows without a srv_name in them (e.g: row 4)

As you can see the srv_name is placed in diferrent instances in the data and you can have more than 1 srv in 1 row of data thus i cannot select text beggining with srv (eg: row3).

What I have noticed is that the srv_name I want is always after the word 'on', if thats any help.

Please help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try: if(index(MyField, 'on srv'), mid(MyField, index(MyField, 'on srv')+3,9),'other') as ServerName

edit: index returns the start position of the first occurence of a search string in a string. If MyField contains 'on srv' then index(MyField, 'on srv') returns a number larger than 0. In that case we know that there's a server number in the string. If there isn't we specify 'other' as result of the if function. To get the server number the mid function is used. It needs a starting position and a length to determine the substring that's extracted from MyField. The starting position in again calculated with the index function, but we add 3 so we start at srv instead of on.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try: if(index(MyField, 'on srv'), mid(MyField, index(MyField, 'on srv')+3,9),'other') as ServerName

edit: index returns the start position of the first occurence of a search string in a string. If MyField contains 'on srv' then index(MyField, 'on srv') returns a number larger than 0. In that case we know that there's a server number in the string. If there isn't we specify 'other' as result of the if function. To get the server number the mid function is used. It needs a starting position and a length to determine the substring that's extracted from MyField. The starting position in again calculated with the index function, but we add 3 so we start at srv instead of on.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Gysbert

Wow, thank you so much! That absolutely resolved my problem.

If its not any trouble, could you please explain the logic  behind this as i may run into something similar i n the future.

I'm fairly new to qlikview developing.

Thanks