Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

group bars in a waterfall chart

I need to create a table that looks like this where the blue, red, and gray bars are predefined values. The orange, yellow, and green bars are also pre-defined values (left) but I also need a duplicate bar next to them that change based on user entries (right). I need the three middle bars to group under one label. I am thinking this may be accomplished with multiple dimensions but I'm not quite sure how to set it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I don't want to group the expressions because I need them all visible at the same time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It looks like the classic Groupped Par Chart:

• you need two dimensions - one that supplies the "Label", and the other one that differentiates Left/Right.
  • The first bar and the last two bars would only have one entry for the secondary dimension.
  • Use calculated colors to paint the chart accordingly
  • Use the same "bar offset" for the two bars that need to begin at the same point.
  • Play with the "Bar Distance" setting to reach the desired presentation.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It looks like the classic Groupped Par Chart:

• you need two dimensions - one that supplies the "Label", and the other one that differentiates Left/Right.
  • The first bar and the last two bars would only have one entry for the secondary dimension.
  • Use calculated colors to paint the chart accordingly
  • Use the same "bar offset" for the two bars that need to begin at the same point.
  • Play with the "Bar Distance" setting to reach the desired presentation.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

To me it looks like Tetris

Not applicable
Author

Oleg,

I get that but I'm not sure how to load the two dimensions. right now I'm getting the equivalent of 6 side by side waterfalls squished into the table. Do I just need one expression that says IF left (left bar) then this value, else that value (for right bar)?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, exactly - that's how it should work.

Not applicable
Author

Ok thank you. I'll work on that.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Excellent! Please mark the answers as helpful/correct and close the thread 🙂

Not applicable
Author

I will be happy to as soon as I get it correct

One more question... how do I eliminate the gap between the bars that only use one of the dimensions? I tried suppressing when value is null but it's not responding to that. Also, it won't show grid lines even though I have it set to show them. thoughts on that?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

• I doubt if the gap can be removed, unfortunately.
  • Grid lines - check the grid line color. I suspect it might be white on a white background.
  • In addition to Grid lines, I'd add Axis lines - set their Width to 1 and Color to gray.
  • Also, as a side comment - consider moving away from shadows and gradient colors. They are not in fashion anymore 🙂
Not applicable
Author

I have managed to get the chart as I want it. Thank you Oleg for your help!!