Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

load script without a specific field

Hi,

I have a table with 40 fields.

one of this fields is very large and not needed in the final data model.

I don't want to write a load statement with 39 fields just to remove this 1 field.

any way of doing that?

Thanks,

Boris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Boris,

You can try below,

Load * From your path...

Drop Field FieldName;

Something like below

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Boris,

You can try below,

Load * From your path...

Drop Field FieldName;

Something like below

Capture.PNG

Not applicable
Author

No way to prevent the initial load of this field? (it is a huge fields, almost sized as the entire table)

tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

I guess, it's not possible. You have to load fields and drop the specific field at the end of the statement.

avinashelite

No,without script statements it's not possible.... you need to right the 39 fields or follow TamilArasu approach 

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Why not specify the 39 field names? It's not that you have to type their names yourself... QlikView can do that for you.

There is a good reason to do it that way ('*' should be banned ). Imagine that someone adds another huge field to your data source without telling you. Happens all the time in enterprise envronments (a simple ERP upgrade may add various fields that no-one needs). Consider it a best practice in most cases...

Not applicable
Author

The only issue with this approach that if I build a dynamic model which wants to get new fields I need to go each time to the script and add the field to the script, no?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, yes. But how are you going to update the document UI in the same dynamic manner?

Remember that on average complex UI objects won't complain about renamed fields (QV doesn't always get that one right in an automated way) or fields that have simply disappeared. And the end-user may not be aware of the missing pieces until much later.

But of course you're right. It's up to you to make the best choice for your requirements.

Not applicable
Author

currently yes, we do allow new definition of dimensions and measures in our Big data analytics and thus letting the script load all the fields and then dynamically adding this dimensions\measures to our objects.