Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

maniram23
Contributor II

loads

Hi experts,

which one is the better performance as compare to preceding load and resident load?

1 Reply
Not applicable

Re: loads

Hi,

Have a look here

Preceding Load

And in the comments:

hic6 mars 2013 02:32 (en réponse à Hariharasudan P )

If you compare a single preceding Load with a single resident Load where the two Loads have identical content, then I would say that the preceding Load always is faster. In the preceding Load, the records are evaluated "on the fly" and this makes it fast.

I made a small test where I had a Load with a few string operations. When I put them in a preceding Load, the script execution time increased by 15-20%. When I put them in a resident Load, script execution time increased by 90-100%. So, I would say: If you can put your calculation in a preceding Load, you should. But sometimes you have to use a resident Load, e.g. after a Crosstable or when you want to make some transformations after a Join.

However, a preceding Load has a small overhead, so if you have multiple preceding Loads, it will be slower. But if a preceding Load helps the manageability and clarity of the script, then I am usually willing to take a small penalty.

HIC

However i've note better performance with resident load when aggregation or lookups are needed.

Community Browser