Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ni_avoss
Creator
Creator

qlik is creating unwanted dual fields when storing QVDs

hi there,

I am stumbling about a strange behaviour when quering data and storing into QVD.

Basically, I've a got an app which is just querying multiple tables (without any transformation) from our source system and storing them in QVDs.

For some fields it stores them as DUAL which is not wanted. More so, it uses "?" as string representation for an int-number.

The field in the source system is defined as oracle varchar2, the content is purely int.

My Idea is that QS is somehow converting it based on some setting and auto recognition.

Any ideas how to turn this off ?

thanks

Alex

Labels (1)
  • dual

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the fact that you are starting with varchar fields makes it challenging.  Are you using a preceding load or just a SQL statement?   You might consider doing a bit of "Touchless Formatting" that lists all the fields.  Would be fairly easy to generate the formatting load statement from a SQLTABLE statement.

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can force them to be num only by applying the num() function during load.

-Rob

ni_avoss
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Rob,
yes - we already figured that out and that would be the hard way to prevent this.
however, in this case this is not very practical as we are talking about 5000 fields in total and I would like to understand this behaviour in order to prevent this
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the fact that you are starting with varchar fields makes it challenging.  Are you using a preceding load or just a SQL statement?   You might consider doing a bit of "Touchless Formatting" that lists all the fields.  Would be fairly easy to generate the formatting load statement from a SQLTABLE statement.

-Rob

ni_avoss
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Rob,

thanks, this is an interesting approach.

due to the amount of fields this will be also quite tedious work but at least it will catch the most important fields this way.