Qlik Community

QlikView Security & Governance

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Security and Governance.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
Not applicable

Cannot get Section Access to work

Hi all,

Myself and my organisation are very new to Qlikview and are currently evaluating it before deciding whether or not to buy. One of the deciding factors for us will be security.

I'm trying to implement section access to a test document but I simply cannot get it to work. My script is below (data has of course been scrubbed of anything potentially identifiable to our organisation!)

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD * INLINE [

    ACCESS, NTNAME, SectorName

    ADMIN, TP\user1, Sector A

    USER, TP\user2, Sector B

    USER, TP\user3, Sector C

];

SECTION APPLICATION;

What I would expect here is that TP\user1 can only see data pertaining to Sector A, TP\user 2 to Sector B and so on. Unfortunately, when I either view the report locally on Qlikview desktop or deploy onto Qlikview server, each of these three users can see all sectors.

I have already selected "Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access" and "Strict Exclusion" within document properties. If I change the script to use USERID and PASSWORD in place of NTNAME, it prompts me when I open the document but no reduction seems to apply. I've also commented out the SECTION ACCESS and SECTION APPLICATION lines to add it as a standard table and can confirm it appears to filter exactly as expected.

I understand that this is probably a really simple question but for the life of me I cannot see what it is that I am doing wrong. If someone could please help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

You need uppercase and a small link table to link the SECTORNAME to the SectorName (assumes you have a  main fact table called Data):

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD

  ACCESS,

  Upper(NTNAME) As NTNAME,

  Upper(SectorName) AS SECTORNAME

INLINE [

    ACCESS, NTNAME, SectorName

    ADMIN, TP\user1, Sector A

    USER, TP\user2, Sector B

    USER, TP\user3, Sector C

];

SECTION APPLICATION;

Link:

Load SectorName,

  Upper(SectorName) AS SECTORNAME

Resident Data;

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
6 Replies
MVP
MVP

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

try with uppercase values and fieldname

Not applicable

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

The QlikTech recommends always use Upper case for Field Names section access table. Please try below.

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD * INLINE [

    ACCESS, NTNAME, SECTORNAME

    ADMIN, TP\user1, Sector A

    USER, TP\user2, Sector B

    USER, TP\user3, Sector C

];

SECTION APPLICATION;

Please make sure that SECTORNAME in the data model must be in Upper Case to apply data reduction.

Apart from that, Document Properties --> Opening --> select "Initial Data reduction Based on Section Access"

Not applicable

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

Thanks, I tried that but now every time I access the document as any other user than the Admin user I get "Access denied to this Qlikview document". Script below:

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD * INLINE [

    ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, SECTORNAME

    ADMIN, user1, abc, *

    USER, user2, abc, SECTOR A

    USER, user3, abc, SECTOR B

    USER, user4

, test, SECTOR C

];

SECTION APPLICATION;

MVP
MVP

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

You need uppercase and a small link table to link the SECTORNAME to the SectorName (assumes you have a  main fact table called Data):

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD

  ACCESS,

  Upper(NTNAME) As NTNAME,

  Upper(SectorName) AS SECTORNAME

INLINE [

    ACCESS, NTNAME, SectorName

    ADMIN, TP\user1, Sector A

    USER, TP\user2, Sector B

    USER, TP\user3, Sector C

];

SECTION APPLICATION;

Link:

Load SectorName,

  Upper(SectorName) AS SECTORNAME

Resident Data;

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

Both the sectorname field and the data must be uppercase to work with Section Access.

Three golden rules for section access,

Rule 1 UPPERCASE.  Rule 2 UPPERCASE.  Rule 13 UPPERCASE.

This link may help  https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-5917

Not applicable

Re: Cannot get Section Access to work

Yes! That did it. Thank you so much for your help

Community Browser