Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II

Difference between applying QlikView license key vs leasing QlikView license

Hello everyone

I have been trying to understand what is the difference between Applying license key and control number  vs leasing QlikView license when changing the QlikView personal edition to licensed version.

I do understand the steps to perform  but would like to understand what is the difference between the 2 and in what situations are we suppose to use which procedure?

Please advise

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Vindhya 

4 Replies
joseph_morales
Creator II
Creator II

Hi @vindhya_giri 

Leasing license:

If your organization acquires a QlikView Server license (Small Business or Enterprise), to license QlikView Personal Edition, you are leasing a license for a QlikView Server and to keep the lease, the desktop application has to contact the server every 30 days.

License Key and LEF:

These two methods are used to apply a Local Client License, I understand that this type of license is already discontinued. The difference between both methods, the first one works when it is possible to contact the Qlik license server online, and validate the license. The second method works when you do not have access to the internet to validate your license code.

Best Regards
Best Regards,
Joseph Morales
vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for replying to my question.

Could you please explain what is the difference between QlikView Server license and LocalClient license?

My current scenario is :

1. Installed QlikView Full client on a user desktop.

2. Change the Personal Edition to licensed version.

For this scenario, which approach would be the best? Leasing license or License Key entry?

Are there any limitations on the number of license leasing? 

Please advise

Thanks

Regards

Vindhya 

joseph_morales
Creator II
Creator II

Hi @vindhya_giri 

Regular users connect to the server using one of the available clients. Each use needs a license of some kind, either named CAL, or a Document CAL, or a session CAL, or a Usage CAL. All these licenses can be contained with the QlikView Server license. Server is used to open, process and serve the documents to the clients by Access Point.

Only the Named CAL license allows the license leasing to QlikView Desktop. Each Named CAL is assigned to a single user. If your need is to license 10 QlikView Pesonal Edition, your QlikView server license needs 10 Named CAL.

I recommend you read about the QlikView licensing in the Help, and call a sales representative in your city,

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/Q...

Best Regards,
Joseph Morales
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Most information has already been provided to you, but I think this question needs another answer:

"2. Change the Personal Edition to licensed version.

For this scenario, which approach would be the best? Leasing license or License Key entry?"

A license key is only valid for a specific product. So you can have a license key for a QlikView desktop client, or for a QlikView server, or for a Publisher, etc.. etc.. What type of product it is valid for is governed by the LEF.

So when you want to license your QlikView Desktop client, it is up to what sort of license you own. If you own a QlikView developer license that you have not yet used, then that can be applied to the Desktop client. If you own a QlikView server license with Named User CALs (!), then you can license a QlikView server and then lease a license to the Desktop client using a Named user CAL. But you cannot use that LEF or license key from the QVS directly to apply it to the Desktop client.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂