cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HimanshuKakade
Contributor
Contributor

Encryption in Qlikview

Hi We are looking for options to Encrypt the QlikView data.

We have already stored the data is QVDs are we are only providing the link to the main dashboard (i.e. QVW file) to the end user.

1) Apart from using QVDs, is there any way we can encrypt the data further?

2) What are different ways in Qlikview to Encrypt the data?

3) On what levels we can implement the encryption?

Kindly guide.

Labels (3)
3 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

There is no such native function in qlik that can encrypt/decrypt data. However, you can write your own function in JavaScript or VB Script and use that in qlik to achieve that. Have a look here : Data Encryption in QlikView Using Macro for better understanding of the process. 

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

>>Apart from using QVDs, is there any way we can encrypt the data further?

If you believe QVD files to be encrypted, you are mistaken - QVD files are not encrypted and any QV/QS (including personal edition / desktop) can open the QVD to display the data. Confidential data in QVDs needs to be secured using normal file/folder access control.

>>What are different ways in Qlikview to Encrypt the data?

The data inside a qvw file is binary, and there is no public API for getting the data from a qvw, so I don't how well encrypted it may or may not be. Qlik offers row and column security using section access, applied when the user opens the document. On a server implementation, you can prevent users from downloading data and using binary loads of the QV document.

>>On what levels we can implement the encryption?

I am not sure what you mean.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Most likely, any software-based encryption tool is going to be too slow etc. and will likely cause issues with the platform.  The only success of which I have ever heard has been with hardware-based encryption devices.  That is the only option available at the moment that I would venture is going to be workable and perform well.  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.