Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to avoid reducing outer dimensions

Assuming we had the following QlikView tables i the document:

Orders

Order Number

State

States

State

Country

with contents:

Orders

1     NY

2     NY

3     FL

4     OH

State

NY     USA

FL     USA

OH     USA

I'll do Section Access and reduce on Order Number. Suppose a specific user is only authorized to Order 3 & 4. In addition to the data in Orders being reduces to 3 & 4, the data in State will be reduced to only FL and OH.

How do I do the reduction, but specify that I don't want the data in table State to be reduced? I would still want other connected tables to be reduced.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

18 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can add records to your order table like

Dummy, NY

Dummy, FL

Dummy, OH

i.e. a dummy order per state.

then add for each user authorization for Dummy order.

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately, I can't add any order data that doesn't really exist. It will cause issues elsewhere..

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You don't need to add any real fact measures.

But I am just offering a general idea / approach, you probably need to adapt it to your setting and requirements.

lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

can I simply add another column to the section access table and add those values?  First r example

User, Order, State

joe, 1, null

joe, 2, null

joe, null, NY

joe, null, FL

joe, null, OH

would that work?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

What is 'null' in this sample? An existing field value?

You can try yourself by creating a small sample app, but I don't think this will work.

lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

No. It's just "nothing supplied" for that value.

Not applicable
Author

can I simply add another column to the section access table and add those values?  First r example

User, Order, State

joe, 1, null

joe, 2, null

joe, null, NY

joe, null, FL

joe, null, OH

(The nulls would be no value on that line.)

would that work?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

‌I think what you are suggesting is exactly what Stefan was suggesting. But you can't add the data in the section access, it has to be in the section application.  if you want to keep state values that have existing orders, you will have to create dummy values for whatever your reduction field is to keep them in.

Rob

Not applicable
Author

‌Rob,

im assuming that I wouldnt have to create dummy orders (I can't do that.) I have a table that explicitly has states and one that has orders. So the way I set up the reduction table (above) wouldn't it reduce the orders for Joe, but still let him see the explicitly authorized states even if the are no orders for those?

thanks,

LEslie