Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swarajya
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Implementing section access for few sheets in application

Hello All,

I have a requirement like, in a single application the section access should apply for few sheets and not for all.

Before it was like document chaining where as in section access application is navigated through a button to another application where it has no section implemented. Below link is helped to understand this 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-Scripting/Section-Access-to-be-applied-only-for-a-specific-sh...

Here the user wants to merge the both application in to single application and conditioned applied with the previous.

Please help me on this.

Thanks

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

I'd challenge that merging both apps is a good idea, first of all, if only because of maintenance. Is the same data but only certain visualizations that should be shown for some and hidden for others?

Would be useful if you can elaborate on that.

Bear in mind that section access is a special table, but a table after all, like any other in your data model. If the data from both apps have different data models, you will have to create a single data model which serves the purpose of both, then implement security.

Also note that section access filters data if the reduction field is included in its table. If there is an island table, or a second data model (which I would never recommend, but I have seen several times) and fields from such island table or separate data model are not included in the section access, these rows will not be filtered, at all.

I'm saying this because I don't understand how the same model will have the same data exposed to all, and only on the front-end the information is restricted by showing or hiding sheets.

For example, what happens if a user downloads the app? Or if he creates a new field?

swarajya
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks for your quick reply miguel.
Here both data models are same, only thing is the user wants to see the region level data for few sheets where as all the regions for few sheets.
My worry is, if we merge in single application the data will be reduced to region level and how can we get back to all the regions when we navigate to no section access required area
swarajya
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hi All,

Any suggestions on this.

Thanks

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Atukuri, check out the following Design Blog post, there are some other links in this post related to reductions too, I am not sure you will be able to pull things off here, but the posts may give you some other ideas:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/A-Primer-on-Section-Access/ba-p/1465766

The only thing that just popped into my head is having two different data models in the app, one for the Section Access piece and one without and then ensuring the Section Access table is not linked to the other model, but not sure if this is practical or not...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.