Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Select multiple values EXCEPT one

Hi All,

I have problems with my current security setup. I have a list of countries and since we added a new country recently, this new country is limited only to selected users.

ex.

USER_GROUPCOUNTRY
A*
BSG
BJP
BAM
CJP

My country lists up to 30+. Since it's a big list, It's not really nice to list everything except the new one. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This can be made even shorter, especially if you don't like part of your SA information to reside outside of Section Access;

Section Access;

SA:

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, USERID, GROUP

ADMIN, SA,

USER, ME, A

USER, YOU, B

USER, HE, C

];

// Copying entries in this table is extremely simple

LEFT JOIN(SA)

LOAD GROUP, SubField(GroupSpec, ';') AS COUNTRY INLINE [

GROUP, GroupSpec

A, SG;PH;AM;JP

B, IN;SA;JP;SK;NZ;TH;LA;VN;

C, NewCountry

];

Section Application;

// Section Access will link to a data model field called 'COUNTRY'. Add

// more fields to SA if they all link to different data model tables.

// Otherwise create a composite key.

:

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

10 Replies
maksim_senin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

Not sure I understood your requirement, but in Section Access you can list those values which your selected users should have access so the other ones won't have an access to them.

Best regards,

Maxim

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Actually, Section Access (almost - there are some exceptions) follows the same rules as those that apply to your data model: associations and linking in general are only done on strictly specififed values, never on things like "all of them", or "everything except these two".

You can however simulate your own link value handling by defining an external security definition source (which is always better to make it manageable without requiring you to modify your hidden script) and adding things like include/exclude columns, or to handle self-created concepts like '*'.

The code that loads this external data and translates into a boring SA access list will become a bit more complex than a simple INLINE LOAD.

Peter

amit_saini
Master III
Master III

Hi,

In general new row is required to assign user to different country , but what may be you can try to group these company name ....Could be create Hierarchie based on countries as regions like Asia , North America , Europe.....and than give section access on Hierarchie level.

Thanks,

AS

Not applicable
Author

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for replying, Since users that have access to all countries I just put * to the field for them to access all countries, problem is, an additional country was recently added and selected users are only allowed to see this new country. Since the list is so long, I don't want to put it one by one per each grouping.

ex.

USERGROUPCountry
A*

to

USERGROUPCountry
ASG
PH
AM
JP
and so on

I don't want to list all, just because of an additional country.

Not applicable
Author

Hi AS,

Thanks for the suggestion, this suggestion is helpful unfortunately adding this new hierarchy will be needing me to update all of my applications. (more than 20 applications). Is there any easier way?

Thanks

sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Use a excel sheet to have the security mapping and call it in SA script. Hence when ever you need to add the new one , just add in the sheet.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Actually I'm using an excel file for my security... the problem is that if I list the countries one by one by each group loading the binary files takes long.. my records of 600k jumped to 11m because of the combinations I have for my security.. I want to lessen  this number if there is any solution for this.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You do not have to list every country on a single line. As an example (not using an Excel but instead an INLINE LOAD, just to make my point), what about this trick?

Section Access;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, USERID, GROUP

ADMIN, SA,

USER, ME, A

USER, YOU, B

USER, HE, C

];

Section Application;

RawSAGroups:

LOAD * INLINE [

GROUP, GroupSpec

A, SG;PH;AM;JP

C, NewCountry

];

GroupTable:

LOAD GROUP, SubField(GroupSpec, ';') AS Country

RESIDENT RawSAGroup;

DROP Table RawSAGroup;:

I'm referring to my first post: use QlikView script statements to make your security easier to manage.

I don't understand why anything should grow from 600k rows to 11m rows. Can you explain why this happens?

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This can be made even shorter, especially if you don't like part of your SA information to reside outside of Section Access;

Section Access;

SA:

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, USERID, GROUP

ADMIN, SA,

USER, ME, A

USER, YOU, B

USER, HE, C

];

LEFT JOIN(SA)

LOAD GROUP, SubField(GroupSpec, ';') AS COUNTRY INLINE [

GROUP, GroupSpec

A, SG;PH;AM;JP

C, NewCountry

];

Section Application;

// Section Access will link to a data model field called 'COUNTRY'. Add

// more fields to SA if they all link to different data model tables.

// Otherwise create a composite key.

:

Best,

Peter