Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Security in Comparing Individuals to Groups

Hi,

I have a dashboard that I'm trying to design that has about 20 metrics. I have the following constraints

• For each of those metrics I want individuals to compare their performance to their group's performance
  • Each individual should only be able to see their own details
  • Managers should be able to see everybody's details

I have thought of the following strategies so far:

1. Section access the detailed data, and bring in pre-aggregated data for the group's performance
  2. Somehow set on on-open action that locks the list selector to the individual, but doesn't lock for managers.
  3. Something else?

Does anyone have any best practices or thoughts around how to handle this situation?

Thanks,

Elin

7 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This is the basic case of "Data Reduction based on Section Access" It's covered in the Reference Manual and is part of the Developer class.

Users (or groups) are associated with one of the fields in the database (like Sales Person or Employee). Managers are not associated with anyone and by default they get access to all.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com - take your QikView skills to the next level!

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

The problem is that I need to deliver some level of data about all users to each individual, because I need to let them compare themselves against the group average.

I don't think that basic section access can do this as it would filter out the group's data.

Thanks,

Elin

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In your initial post, you mentioned that you are going to pre-aggregate data for the group's performance. Assuming that you calculated pre-aggregated values for the group, and they are not associated with individual performers (or, rather all group metrics should be associated with all employees) - then the basic Section Access functionality works just fine.

I'm not aware of another approach that would allow both comparing to the total (without pre-aggregating) and limiting security to each one's data.

Not applicable
Author

That is one of the strategies I'm considering, but I'm not sure it's the best one. It means I have to maintain two different aggregation logic, one in QV expressions and one in the load statement.

The other possible strategy would be to set on on-open action that locks the list selector to the individual, but doesn't lock for managers. I'm not sure if this is possible or advisable. I'm sure it would be less secure, but I'm not too worried about the individual end users trying to hack the app.

stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Something like that is possible, there are also scenario's where you not reduce the actual data, but a data island. Then depending on who it is use a variable set analysis to reduce to the correct level. This affects all your expressions though. See also this e.g. this discussion

Section Access and Benchmark

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, for the link. That is exactly the same problem I have. I think the solution they found will work for me, but I'll have to sit on a it a bit longer before I know for sure. I'm still new to QlikView, and can't 100% visualize how to set it up.

proctors
Creator
Creator

Find a solution?