Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vasujoshi_700
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Application automation Reporting

I want to make selections in the front end of the app and trigger a report by application automation with those selections from the front end. Any idea how can i accomplish that? Any kind of suggestion would be  really help full.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Emile_Koslowski
Employee
Employee

Hi both,

I think you could actually already build this today with what's available in Qlik Application Automation. It's not easy but the following steps should work:

1. If you follow this article: Triggering an automation from aa button on a sheet, you'll be able to trigger an automation from the button and have the selections from your app available as a bookmark inside the automation.
  2. You can then use the block Apply Bookmark to apply those selections in the Qlik Sense session of the automation.
  3. You can then use the block List Current Selections to get a list of the selections in the bookmark.
  4. You can then loop through that list from step 3 and add every single one of those selections to the report by using the blocks Add Selection To Sheet and Add Selection To Report from the Qlik Reporting connector.

I've made the below example:

Emile_Koslowski_0-1664534812997.png

You can find the exported JSON of the automation attached to this reply, import it as an automation by right-clicking in an empty automation and choosing 'Upload workspace'.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

You can create a button in the source app which when pressed, will take you out to the Automation. 

However making selections then dynamically applying them to the report via this button does not appear possible. 
Currently selections are made via the automation blocks and there do not appear to be automation apis to enable dynamic selections or selections made from the QS app.

Button "send top sales... by email" 

Website url: is the link to the Qlik automation report

The app custom button takes you to the report where you need to press the 'run' button.

I suggest adding an 'idea' to our feature request site here in the meantime.

Ideas | Qlik Community

cc @Emile_Koslowski

Do we know if this type of 'on demand' reporting is on the road map?

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Emile_Koslowski
Employee
Employee

Hi both,

I think you could actually already build this today with what's available in Qlik Application Automation. It's not easy but the following steps should work:

1. If you follow this article: Triggering an automation from aa button on a sheet, you'll be able to trigger an automation from the button and have the selections from your app available as a bookmark inside the automation.
  2. You can then use the block Apply Bookmark to apply those selections in the Qlik Sense session of the automation.
  3. You can then use the block List Current Selections to get a list of the selections in the bookmark.
  4. You can then loop through that list from step 3 and add every single one of those selections to the report by using the blocks Add Selection To Sheet and Add Selection To Report from the Qlik Reporting connector.

I've made the below example:

Emile_Koslowski_0-1664534812997.png

You can find the exported JSON of the automation attached to this reply, import it as an automation by right-clicking in an empty automation and choosing 'Upload workspace'.

Vasujoshi_700
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi, Emile, it is really amazing work but when i trigger the button it generates the report with that bookmark selection only and its also generates the bookmark with the selection that i have selected before the trigger. 

In order to achieve that I need to rename the bookmark with a name that is being used in application automation,

it still has not met the requirement of generating reports with the current selection on the dashboard.

Thank you so much for your help and effort. 

Emile_Koslowski
Employee
Employee

Hi @Vasujoshi_700 ,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand your request.

My previous post should address the following requirements:

1. The report should be generated from within the Qlik Sense front-end
  2. The report should contain the same selections as the app has in the front-end when the report is generated

Am I missing a requirement here or does that automation generate the wrong selections?

Thanks,
Emile

Emile_Koslowski
Employee
Employee

Now I think of it, feel free to add a Clear All Selections block from the Qlik Cloud Services connector before the Apply Bookmark block if you think any other (unwanted) selections could be active in the app.

OlivierS
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hey Emile,

Thanks for your feedback,

When i execute your script, if dimension contain multiple selection, only the last value is retained into the report.

How should I modify this loop to be sure each value of each dimension is contained into the bookmark ?

Thanks in advance 🙂

At203
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @Emile_Koslowski !

Thank you, I have been using this automation for some months and it has been working well. Unfortunately, this month it failed and brings a message "unknown error" - I tried to fix it but did not work.  I uploaded the JSON file again and tried to create everything from scratch, but it keeps failing.  I have some sort of feeling that it could be Qlik bug 🙂 Could you please check out - is it working for you?

Best regards,

A.

Viktors
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hey @Emile_Koslowski!

Same here, this automation has stopped to work ! 😞

I see error message: The automation did not receive the required inputs.