cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senor_Dai
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

QlikView Server CPU use

HI. we have a 32 Core VM running our live qlikview server.

We are planning a migration to QlikSense Enterprise or QlikSense Analytics Platform.

When I check theQV Governance dashboard I notice that the Max CPU usage is below 50% .. Does this suggest that we could use 16 cores with the same performance on our current QV instance?  And also would this translate to 16 cores in QAP?

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 16.43.24.png

Many thanks.

Dai

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

This view might not show the whole truth because it depends in which frequencies the data are logged. AFAIK it are by default each 5 minutes. This means you see just one value for 5 minutes and the CPU peaks in between may be much higher. Beside this I'm not sure if Qlik will include all work-load scenarios in regard to double processor systems, virtual cores and similar stuff.

Personally I would expect to see always 100% usage within the max. A quite simple check would be to watch a bit the task-manager of the server during a busy time.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@Senor_Dai

You could probably use less cores, but I would not go down to 16 cores. If you do that your CPU usage would probably be very high.

Since it is a VM I would suggest that you try lowering it in steps and measure performance. 

Since QlikView and QlikSense are different products, so I can't say if 16 cores for QAP is suitable.

marcus_sommer

This view might not show the whole truth because it depends in which frequencies the data are logged. AFAIK it are by default each 5 minutes. This means you see just one value for 5 minutes and the CPU peaks in between may be much higher. Beside this I'm not sure if Qlik will include all work-load scenarios in regard to double processor systems, virtual cores and similar stuff.

Personally I would expect to see always 100% usage within the max. A quite simple check would be to watch a bit the task-manager of the server during a busy time.

- Marcus

Senor_Dai
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks @Maria_Halley  and @marcus_sommer ! Much appreciated

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@marcus_sommer

Can you explain that you mean by "I would expect to see always 100% usage within the max?

marcus_sommer

I did assume that this called max. value - AFAIK based on the field "CPULoad" - contained the max. value of the CPU workload. But depending on your question I'm not sure that this interpretation is correct - it may be just an average value. I would appreciate to get here more information.

But nevertheless I think the above given suggestion that this value couldn't show the whole truth is further correct and in between the 5 minutes logging interval could the max. CPU workload be much higher and if the datamodels and the UI are well-designed the calculations should be scaling over all cores and taking all available resources and therefore hitting regularly the 100% - ideally always rather short peaks.

If I'm now right that's an average this value displayed the mid-term workload and for this is a 5 minute interval a good default-setting and quite suitable to hint for an overload of the CPU. 

- Marcus