Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Allow a new relationship to be added between a fact and the date dimension after the star schema is created in the data mart

paulstevens
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Allow a new relationship to be added between a fact and the date dimension after the star schema is created in the data mart

A relationship between a date column on a fact and the Qlik Compose date dimension can only be created during the Star Schema wizard to create the star schema. It is not possible to add a relationship from a date column on the fact to the date dimension after the star schema is created.

It is desirable to add the functionality to link a date column on the fact entity in the star schema to the date dimension after the star schema is created. The 'Add dimension to star schema' button allows an existing non-date dimension to be added to a star schema after the star schema is created, but this is not possible for a date dimension to another date column on the fact.

If the entity model changes and a new date column is added to the entity, it will not be possible to add a link from that date column in the star schema of that entity to the date dimension. The Star Schema would have to be dropped and recreated, which is not optimal, particularly when there may be millions of fact records.

Tags (1)
3 Comments
Tzachi_Nissim
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion. It looks very reasonable and clear. I asked R&D to analyze the implications of this and I'm asking also for other customers to vote for this in order to influence the prioritization.

Regards,

Tzachi

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived