Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Allow always show legend and X/Y Labels

John_Sacco
Employee
Employee

Allow always show legend and X/Y Labels

Currently with the responsive framework when a chart is resized the chart can lose labels on both axis and also lose the chart legend. This is sometimes very problematic since the chart loses much needed context from the labels or legend. Please add an option to force show this always instead of the current Auto functionality.

Tags (2)
20 Comments
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

Thanks,

Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Meghann_MacDonald

This idea was submitted again here: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/Adaptive-layout-for-charts-and-graphs/idi-p/1767663 with additional likes and comments. Please consider both as support!

Meghann

Status changed to: Open - New
Henri_Rufin
Luminary
Luminary

Well it’s been submitted several times. Maybe it should be implemented 😉

devan9876
Creator
Creator

This is one of the more annoying aspects of Qliksense imo. I like responsiveness in theory but the way it auto hides important components like axis labels, or the alternate dimension/measure buttons is incredibly frustrating. Whats worse is it will still hide stuff even when there is clearly enough room for it to show it. The breakpoints seem more strict than they need to be.  I wish it just shrank the font rather than outright hiding things or at let the app developers have control over the break points so we decide when/if chart components disappear.

Nathan1
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is a pretty big pain and would be great to have it resolved.  A lot of our developers build objects using second-screens and then when end-users open on their laptop screens the legend is gone and they're confused about what they're looking at.

I had an app that I had to build which required groups of three bar charts side by side separated by KPI charts and I ended up disabling the legend on the chart entirely and creating my own legend in an image!  Sense is just way too aggressive with removing the legend which is one of the most important parts of reading the chart.

Henri_Rufin
Luminary
Luminary

I couldn’t agree more. The problem is users don’t have the same computer. And even so, they don’t apply the same resolution settings. And even when a good resolution is applied, they can still change the zoom applied in their web browser. All this affects general layout and it’s almost impossible to ensure consistent user experience unless you keep the number of objects to a minimum. This is frustrating and I am sure most companies face this issue. I know there nothing fancy about giving more options to developers but it would improve user experience drastically. I often think when seeing demos on YouTube and LinkedIn that it doesn’t match the reality since most companies don’t use these ultra wide screens as they do in these videos. 

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Susann_Ullrich
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

I also encounter this problem a lot. In some settings Qlik Sense only works as intended when you use one or two charts per sheet. This essentially contradicts the idea of building dashboards. Also as Henri is saying the UX is rather poor when you can't ensure what your end user is seeing.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

@Susann_Ullrich , @Henri_Rufin @Nathan1 et al please note that it is possible as of September 2018 to set the sheet to have a custom width and height in pixels. That will cause the sheet and the objects on it to have fixed size and turn of the responsiveness. All charts will maintain the axes, labels and legends even if the screen is resized.

Patric_Nordstrom_0-1614165986051.png

Henri_Rufin
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, that's true. But the point is that developpers want to offer the same experience without having to turn off the responsive design.