Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Allow for legends when 'The expression is a color code' is turned on

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Allow for legends when 'The expression is a color code' is turned on

When setting charts' appearance with colour by the expression, the legend is hidden and the corresponding options in property manual is disabled.

Charts affected: Bar chart,  Combo Chart, Gauge, Line Chart, Pie Chart, Scatter plot

Customers have requested for this feature to be revisited and for legends to be enabled when the expression is a color code.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂
12 Comments
Cameron94
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Fantastic, this is something that would really help. 

Thanks 🙂 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Cameron94 !

Don't forget to vote it up with a thumbs up 👍 😊

All the best,
Sonja 

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

This won't just help, it's a MUST for any company or institution looking to adopt QlikSense as their BI tool. Without this, we cannot apply our corporate colour palette consistently. Qlik, and specifically Qlikview was great as you could customise almost everything. The flexibility was worth the effort. However, QlikSense current lacks this flexibility. In some areas it doesn't matter so much, but in areas like this, its crucial!

gramqlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

There are several improvements that could be made to legends - sizing, positioning, ordering values, etc. Most essential though is to enable them to be displayed on charts using custom colours. 

The default colour schemes (by Dimension) are fine but there are just 2 of them, so highly restrictive. There aren't even obvious basic schemes for small numbers of values such as 3-colour traffic light, 7-colour roygbiv, 12-colour simple colour wheel.

Even a separate Legend-only chart type that we could drop onto the canvas next to existing charts would be better than the current situation.

UncleRiotous
Creator
Creator

We need this so badly.

Brano
Contributor II
Contributor II

Without this functionality it is impossible to create reports that meet company branding rules and color palette. I would be great to have this feature in a native charts.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

The easiest way to get custom colors in legend is to use Assigning colors to master items.

An even better method is to use Silent Legend, to use colors in a way so legends are unnecessary.

Thanks,
Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

Hello Patric,

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry, but this response is ridiculous. To expect customers to retrain users to not refer to a legend? You're a multinational company and self-proclaimed market leader and you can't make a legend visible?

I don't think your master items solution will work in the case either as a lot of us are looking to colour by expression to enable the application of a corporate colour scheme, consistently, to different field values in a chart using a single measure.

You guys need to do better. This is a BASIC requirement. Were not looking to launch a Tesla into space here.

6982blakey
Contributor II
Contributor II

I see the current functionality as a bug.  I often use colours assigned to master items, but this isn't available  for drill dimensions.

I agree with an earlier comment that there is scope to radically improve legends.  On particular issue for me is that the legend will sometimes disappear if the chart is 'too small'.  This makes it incomprehensible for our users. We need the ability to select 'Always Show Legend'.  The same could be said for other chart elements.

6982blakey
Contributor II
Contributor II

I've just spotted another issue with losing the legend for a stacked bar chart is that you can't select the stacked dimension without it.  I would have to add a filter pane.