Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Allow installation of Qlik Sense Desktop on Server editions of Windows

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Allow installation of Qlik Sense Desktop on Server editions of Windows

It would be good to have Qlik Sense Desktop available for installation on Windows Server rather than just locked to WIndows 7/8/10. With the growth of SaaS and the introduction of Qlik DataTransfer, it would make sense to allow Desktop to be installed alongside DataTransfer to facilitate more complicated extract and load procedures from on-prem data sources i.e. incremental loads. 

Desktop could be turned into a Client-Managed 'lite', and bundled in with SaaS, but removing the development of Sheets etc. just loading data.  

8 Comments
MarkJM
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Good suggestion. Just installed QlikView Desktop on a clients server to extract a SQL Stored Procedure. Client was a bit surprised that we had to install an old version of Qlik since he wanted an upgrade from QlikView to Qlik Cloud.

I might even prefer a lite mode of the desktop application for we often install the QDT on a server with other applications.

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Good shout re QlikView desktop, I forgot that could be installed on a server OS.  Ridiculous we would need to consider QV Desktop, but it's a sort of good workaround, if you don't need any of the more modern data connections

shanemichelon
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I have a client ERP system that cannot be used directly with Qlik Data Transfer, so I need to use the app based approach.  Since I cannot install Qlik Sense Desktop on their server to pull the data for use with Qlik Data Transfer, I need to install the old QlikView desktop and use in personal licence mode.

Qlik really needs a tool to handle server side extract of more complex requirements such as incremental data loads.  Qlik Sense Desktop is a good tool for this, if it weren't for this limitation.

A workaround is to install Qlik Sense Desktop on another PC and then setup the extract app and once it is working as required, copy the qvf to the server.  However if you provide remote support to many clients this is not practical as they will be unwilling to provide access to a windows 10/11 machine for this purpose.

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Hi

Thanks for submitting to ideation, this capability can be achieved with the Data Gateway - Direct Access which will allow a seamless DLE experience to on premise data sources:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Gateways/direct-access-g...

Thanks

Ian

Status changed to: Delivered
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

HI @Ian_Crosland, I think its a little early to be setting this idea as delivered when Data Gateway does not have fully parity with the number of data connections that QS Desktop has. For example, ODBC and flat files are not yet supported by the Gateway therefore we do not have a "seamless DLE experience to on premise data soruces" yet. A janky QV Desktop in personal mode + Data Transfer is still required. 

I can understand the reason for changing status to delivered, as the technology is technically available, but the other connectors (odbc/flat file) have not been delivered yet.  

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Hi

ODBC DSN/Flat files currently in development , so I will flip to partially delivered until they are GA.

Thanks

Ian

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Partially Delivered
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Thanks Ian, we're very much looking forward to getting our hands on ODBC/Flat files. I sound like a right saddo 😂