Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Bar offset functionality added to QlikSense bar charts

brocklewis
Contributor II
Contributor II

Bar offset functionality added to QlikSense bar charts

Within Qlik View, there existed for bar charts an option for each expression to 'Offset' (see image.) This was useful in many situations, and it would be excellent to have access to this option in Qlik Sense bar charts as well. 

Bar offset.png

8 Comments
cotiso_hanganu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Man, I have more than 3 years I am wishing someone in R&D to wake up and realise this should have been there for a long time !

The current Waterfall object is a bad joke compared with the options possible with this small addition !

I have used for years now the workaround with an additional invisible bar stacked underneath the visible one... but when you get  into negative values for a P&L waterfall with more than several bars.... , it blows up in your face !

See in the following pictures some possible use cases.

cotiso_hanganu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Ex1:

(QS) Dual What If with multiple Waterfall 

• using invisible stacked bars
  • formulas for the single offsett(ed) bars in the middle are pretty heavy, having to handle separately a lot of different situations (positive and negative values for the bar and for offsets on both ends...
    => at least 6 different if cases instead one simple formula 😞  )

(QS) multiple waterfalls for what if that are changing sign and colors... (using the current solution with invisible stacked bars is requiring huge formulas, despite  there is only one bar with offset !(QS) multiple waterfalls for what if that are changing sign and colors... (using the current solution with invisible stacked bars is requiring huge formulas, despite there is only one bar with offset !

Ex2:

(QS) Dynamic P&L Waterfall with selectable bars

• one formula only
  • conditional coloring by category and subcategory
  • Seemed ok, until we had to deal with negative intermediary margins or handle EITDA and EBIT and EBT for several business units
    => currently impossible to make it handle all the situations !!!  😞

QQwaterfall in QQfin 2021 All.png

(QS) P&L waterfall with conditional show (again made with stacked invisible bars) ... Already impossible to me to make the whole formula work(QS) P&L waterfall with conditional show (again made with stacked invisible bars) ... Already impossible to me to make the whole formula work

QQwaterfall in QQfin 2021 0+1.png

Ex3:

(QV) P&L waterfall with multiple bars (more than 10) and conditional coloring for negative values

• if at least conditional coloring with expression in current  waterfall object would be possible, this situation could be handled

(QV) Waterfall with many bars and conditional coloring for negative values - impossbile in QS at this number of columns)(QV) Waterfall with many bars and conditional coloring for negative values - impossbile in QS at this number of columns)(QV) Subsequent waterfalls in time for bottom up Cash Flow  projections with dynamic time dimension (have something in QS already, but formulas are crazy for 1 offseted bar, especialy when negative closing ballances  are possible(QV) Subsequent waterfalls in time for bottom up Cash Flow projections with dynamic time dimension (have something in QS already, but formulas are crazy for 1 offseted bar, especialy when negative closing ballances are possible

cotiso_hanganu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Ex 4:
(QV) Free Cash waterfall  in time..

• with starting & net in month & closing 
  • 3 formulas + 1 dimension + conditional formatting for the offseted bar  + negative  net in month + transparent coloring + overlapping bars

1.png

Ex 5:
(QV) Free Cash waterfall in time alligned with other waterfalls (first object is actually the same with the previous, just some additional conditional show of first and last expression

The other are also just declinations of the same object (having more the 20 expressions) with conditional shows on different criteria (selected by user in the interface) that  have also in offset formulas additional conditions depending on the chosen conditions.
Even in QV , with offset formulas available , some of the offset formulas are very hard to handle....

But having to include the invisibles stacked bars... Impossbile !

QQsip rulaje nete.jpg

brocklewis
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks Cotisu,

Do you mind elaborating how you designed the below chart? The main reason that I want access to the bar offset option is so that we can monitor openings and closures of accounts from month to month, or quarter to quarter, etc. I knew how to do this in QlikView, but without a bar offset in Qlik Sense, it has eluded me so far. 

brocklewis_0-1640708495267.png

Is this one dimension and many measures? Ie: one measure for each individual month? That is the only way I can think to  do it

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
cotiso_hanganu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

It îs QlikView. Cannot do it inQlik Sense. That îs the Point of Asking Offset in Sense Barchart

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived