Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Combo Chart: Add stacked bars option by Dimension

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Combo Chart: Add stacked bars option by Dimension

Actually its not possible to create a combo chart with stacked bar charts using a Dimension.  It can be only possible using multiple expressions, so it could led to hard coding maintenance if we need to add new categories.

Also we need an option to show values for each bar segment. Not only for the total amount. 

In Qlikview we can create such visualization overlapping a line  chart over a stacked bar chat using transparency.

18 Comments
millerhm
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

@Patric_Nordstrom - thanks for the update, but this seems like a very common use case that is being overlooked. The rework of the Combo chart is necessary, but without stacked bars as an option, we will have to continue to use unsupported extensions for many use cases, which is frustrating for something that seems so basic.

canoebi99
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I see this has been open - collecting feedback for 2 years now?! How many people need to like an idea for it to make it onto the roadmap? .... our clients also need this chart as an option, hard coding expressions to make this work is not ideal. 

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

When the new combo chart was released last year a lot was improved:
* Vertical presentation
* Color per measure
* Dimension based reference lines for annotations
* Measure reference lines
* Bar styling with bar width, outline and custom number of bars
* Line styling with point size, line width, dashed solid, curvy and linear
* Custom tooltips
A secondary dimension was on the list but didn't make it to the first release.

From a data literacy perspective stacked bar charts are considered hard to read and confusing to the end users. A stacked combo with a secondary axis is even worse. (https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/03/understanding-stacked-bar-charts/)

This idea is fairly popular with 42 likes, ranked 29 among the current open ideas.

That said a secondary dimension is on the roadmap for consideration in the next 6 months.

canoebi99
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Thanks Patrick, this is useful information. 

This request is something that we get asked for from clients and whilst "a stacked combo with  a secondary axis may be even worse" this is what our clients (end users) ask to see. 

If you are able to suggest a better way/chart to display the quantity sold broken down by store then by product category with the sales $ also represented (so we can see stores that sell more but at lower value as well as the breakdown on product category) I would love to pass that suggestion on to the clients and provide them a better option. 

Attached is a sample of what we were recently asked to create in QlikSense.Sample chart.JPG

Koen2
Contributor
Contributor

Good to see that there are more people that find this a necessary visual to have in Qlik Sense.

I often use this kind of graphs to show forecasts in the future (supply & demand) en demand broken down in different product or client categories. For me it is not necessary to have a secondary axis, but I would really like to have the possibility to show 1. a line (supply) and 2. a stacked bar graph (demand) in the same graph.

I hope that it will be included in future releases!

UncleRiotous
Creator
Creator

Once again a pretty basic requirement is missing from Qlik Sense. I don't often use stacked bars but there are times when I really need to. I've just told a senior manager with absolute confidence that I can meet her requirement (the same manager who wanted a pivot table with variable width columns last year) and now I'm going to have to tell them Qlik can't do it.

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived