Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Create more helpful Error texts in Qlik Sense

ericjruppel
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Create more helpful Error texts in Qlik Sense

As a relatively newer user of Qlik Sense, I find that Qlik's error messages are unhelpful, particularly in the load script and visualization function entry pages.  When creating a load script or visualization, the error message "invalid expression" is overly broad and does not help identify what is causing the issue.  The Help icon is great to look up a formula or syntax, but often in a large block of load text, or when trying out less familiar functions, the standard error messages are unhelpful and I personally spend hours trying to figure something out.  The debugger tool similarly may show where an issue is causing an error, but gives little feedback on how to fix it.  

Qlik should create a more detailed set of error messages that help users navigate the issue they are encountering, or perhaps use AI to guess what the user is trying to do and guide them in one or two directions to rectify the error.  For example, if I have entered a "group by" clause that has an error, the error message could identify that I should be using an aggregation function, or that another function may be more helpful than "group by".  This would especially help newer developers build experience in the platform more quickly.  

Copying @millerhm 

Tags (2)
5 Comments
millerhm
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

cosign!

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

+1 

The Qlik Sense IDE could do with a general upgrade, perhaps if we could bring our own tooling and integrate it easier i.e. use vscode more natively?

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

Thanks,

Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived