Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Enable Qlik Compose to import the data mart from one project into another project via the user interface

paulstevens
Partner - Contributor III

Enable Qlik Compose to import the data mart from one project into another project via the user interface

Currently it is possible to import the entity model, relationships, and ETL mappings from one project to another project using the user interface 'Import from project' function in the user interface.

It is desirable to also enable the import of data mart star schemas from a project to another project. Currently this is possible using the Qlik Compose CLI, but it is preferable to utilize the user interface in a similar manner as the import of entity model.

This enables our multiple product teams to import changes from individual projects into a centralized main Qlik project.

Tags (1)
6 Comments
Tzachi_Nissim
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your input. I understand the idea and am opening it up for feedback here. My current thinking is that since there is a way to do this using the CLI, it is of lower priority. I can share with you that we are considering exposing the CLI related to the export and import of CSV files to be accessible though the UI. Would that solve this same problem adequately for you?

Regards,

Tzachi

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
paulstevens

Hi Tzachi

Thanks for the reply. Exposing the CSV files is not the desirable user experience. It is desirable to avoid manually editing or importing CSV files as it is error prone.

As described by Qlik solution architects, the suggested method for multi-user collaboration on a model is to export and import (merge) project artefacts between projects. In the absence of a smooth user experience for user collaboration within a single project, it is desirable for a smooth user experience to import project artefacts from another project. This activity will be frequently executed and we want to reduce the risk of errors. Whether the data mart import option is via the CLI or CSV files exposed in the UI, it is still a second separate activity required to support multi-user collaboration.

This import feature already exists for entities and ETL sets, and it is desirable for the import of data marts to exist in the same area. This creates a single activity area to manage project import to support multi-user collaboration.

Thanks,
Paul

Helmut_Schuster
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that the command line offers to import all datamarts from one project to another.

ComposeCli.exe import_csv --project TargetProject --infolder "C:\Mapping_Export\CSVMetaData" --scope datamarts

I have a scenario where I want to move one datamart from one project to another project. What is the correct command to do it?  
Do I have to modify the CSV files and delete the datamarts that I don't want to move.
The command to import single files doesn't seem right to me, as a datamart consists of multiple files.

sharmamanishv
Contributor III
Contributor III

I second this idea. This will be beneficial in multi-user development and code merge can be handled much easily. 

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived