Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

JSON Load

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

JSON Load

As one of the primary file types used by technologists it is so frustrating that people are still having to use the likes of XLSX or CSV to hold app configuration. XML is archaic.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Suggest-an-Idea/JSON-File-type/idi-p/1667510 was my original post and I really do not think it should have been closed as the idea was nothing to do with exporting file format.

It is simply to add JSON files to the standard Load capability of Qlik Sense.

I remember listening to technology people in a previous job way back in 2014 saying they would not touch QlikView because of lack of direct JSON support. It is now 2021 and nothing has appeared for Qlik Sense, so again projects being promoted and managed by tech teams might question "why ?".

14 Comments
devan9876
Creator
Creator

I agree.

Would also be cool if the store command had the option to export to JSON too.

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Great idea - please submit it and you get a +1 vote from me. I think Qlik prefer one item per idea. Or is that one "object" 😉

devan9876
Creator
Creator

@AndrewMcIlwrick 

From what I understand only luminaries and partners can post ideas.

I have a regular community account so I can just  vote/comment on ideas not post them.

If you think it needs to be a separate idea post, I am ok if you want to take the idea and post it under your account.

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think any registered user can create ideas - not sure why Qlik would want to restrict that - @Meghann_MacDonald ? PS I am neither a partner or a luminary.

Meghann_MacDonald

Hi @devan9876 and @AndrewMcIlwrick , the ideas board is open to view and like from everyone with an account, but in order to post an idea you need to be a customer, partner, luminary etc. Registering with your Qlik customer account allows you access.

i_shamaev
Creator
Creator

Sometimes I met that data in cell of database table was saved as json. 

To extract data from a json file or json string it will be great if qliktech add this functionality.

Thanks for idea! 

juraj_misina
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi @i_shamaev. You can use From_Field statement to load such json data, given that the json structure is flat. If it is not, you're doomed.

json file support is very limited and must be improved. +1 on this idea.

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

I used Power BI Desktop to manipulate the JSON exported from Qlik CLI when doing a Client-Managed to SaaS migration recently. Mad that I have to use another tool to interrogate the data Qlik CLI provides as Qlik Sense does not support JSON file formats...

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Agree 100% @Carl_Hunter it is one of the primary weaknesses of the Qlik Sense platform. Years old and no visible solution. So much of our infra config is built on JSON and we need powershell scripts to pre-process them.

juraj_misina
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I tried to load WebConnectors logs into Qlik yesterday and realized that Qlik's support for xml is pretty obsolete as well... It deserves some love (or QWCs logs should be in a different format)