Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

More frequent scheduled App reloads on Qlik Sense SaaS: more than once per hour

Ron_van_Rooij
Contributor II
Contributor II

More frequent scheduled App reloads on Qlik Sense SaaS: more than once per hour

Attachments

Challenge in Qlik Sense SaaS
In Qlik Sense SaaS, we can only select 'hourly' as smallest refresh schedule for an App. Not every 30 minutes. Not every 10 minutes. See attached screenshot.

Description of idea
To have the possibility to set the reload schedule for an app as "every X minutes". 

This functionality was available in QlikView QMC. Not anymore in Qlik Sense SaaS.

Value proposition
Some apps are looked at multiple times a day by end users, e.g. apps that display *today's* sale performance for online shops. An hourly refresh is not frequent enough to detect possible issues early, during the day. Or to do daily management activities. The users would require the sales data to flow in Qlik app every 30 minutes to have a good grip on their business. 

Additional context
If this feature would risk taking too much Cloud CPU/Memory, then the Qlik SaaS could 'assess' the resources required for the app reload first. If an app would reload very quickly, then Qlik SaaS should allow for a refresh schedule "every X minutes". If not, then the option would be greyed out and user first needs to optimize the app.

Tags (2)
26 Comments
CHansford
Luminary
Luminary

@Peter-Lawlor  what a great use of the tech, especially as I have all the necessary VMs and QDT in place to carry this out.  However it really shouldn't be necessary, if its possible in Client Managed Qlik Sense then it isn't beyond the wit of clever Qlik folk to be able to achieve the same in SaaS or is this a great way to throttle utilisation on the Cloud backend by reducing how often you can schedule a reload?

@Thomas_Hopp  Have you combined this thread with my ask yet?

matthewjbryant
Creator II
Creator II

@Peter-Lawlor Great idea. How're you finding Qlik Data Transfer? I'm finding it a little light on features right now, and isn't as reliable as I'd like.

@CHansford It looks like your suggestion hasn't gained the traction this one has, so combining may not do anything. At least this is on the Roadmap now.

MartijnWanders
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Great idea and have the same thought. Refresh minimal one hour isn't sufficient for some insights. Big gap..... with the not SaaS editions from Qlik.

Peter-Lawlor
Contributor II
Contributor II

@matthewjbryant  I am finding suitable to do what I need.  I have not really needed it to anything more yet.  although, I have noticed that you need to be careful of refresh timings, as when there is a QVD being updated / Saved - you maybe trying to upload it and there seems to be an error handling it.  Not sure yet, but on occasions, I need to restart the service and may or not be related.  On my list of things to check for root cause.

Glad it helps people!

matthewjbryant
Creator II
Creator II

@Peter-Lawlor I've had QDT monitoring 5 minute QVD stores (one triggering a Qlik Sense SaaS app reload). For the most part it's been good, but I've had occasions where monitoring would stop and not start again. The logs don't show any knowledge of files being changed. This has only happened with network folders so far, so I'm testing now with only local folders on the QDT server.

jjdench
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi @Thomas_Hopp any idea how far away the improved scheduling management will be on the roadmap ? Thanks

Justin

Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi @jjdench and everyone in the thread. As I mentioned it earlier in the year, there will be updates on what you can do when it comes to scheduling Qlik Sense Apps (and more). With the upcoming release of Qlik Application Automation (https://www.qlik.com/us/products/blendr-io) you will be able to organise your schedules even as task chains. Besides from that, the reload API does support a more frequent cadence comparing with what you can do by default in the Hub.

//Thomas

scottduthie
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

For long time users of Qlik, having to use the Application Automation module to create task chains might feel a little cumbersome (as the traditional QMC made this extremely easy), however once you get the hang of it the process is pretty simple and repetitive.

The real power lies far beyond task chaining within the Qlik  tenant - you can trigger workflows and actions based off a huge range of integrations with external platforms.

Here's a quick summary from Qlik on task chaning: https://help.qlik.com/sv-SE/cloud-services/Subsystems/ApplicationAutomation/Content/tutorials/task-c...

This video offers a good intro too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ycYndC_PXs

For any assistance contact scott@pomerolpartners.com

aritting
Creator
Creator

QlikView and Qlik Sense Enterprise have this feature and it can't be missing in the SaaS

rubenmarin

Hi @Thomas_Hopp 

Can an automation launch a Qlik Data Transfer task? If data transfer has not updated the data, doing an app reload will keep the same data.

By now I'm solving this creating more than one schedule for the same connection: one at o'clock, another 15 minutes after o'clock, next on 30 minutes...