Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

New Authoring Experience Feedback: Enable quick toggle between simplified and advanced view in chart properties

millerhm
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

New Authoring Experience Feedback: Enable quick toggle between simplified and advanced view in chart properties

Appreciate how the new Authoring Experience simplifies some of the most common use cases, however as we often still have need to build complex expressions, I would love to be able to do that in this view as well. While being able to toggle between the two full experiences is good and useful, I would love the ability to toggle just the Properties Pane between the simplified view and the advanced view while keeping the other features of the new experience. This would enable both new developers as well as advanced developers to use this experience. 

It seemed clear to me that this was primarily aimed at getting new/casual developers up and running more quickly and is not designed for advanced developers given the 'quick set analysis' tool and lack of expression editors. However many of the developers in our organization really liked some aspects of the layout, especially the data table viewer. I think even advanced developers would use this view if there was a quick toggle between Simplified and Advanced view of the properties panel, which could leave the more accessible options available for newer developers and enable all the settings for more advanced devs (vs having to switch the entire experience). 

10 Comments
VRK
Contributor II
Contributor II

Simplified authoring tool has become the most hated "Feature" in our organisation 🙂

Would have been better if it started in advance mode with an option to switch to stupid mode sorry simplified mode. 

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Dear VRK

I assume that you know the product quite well. Also I usually switch over to advanced mode since that gives me the total freedom to do what I want. I feel as if my hands are tied when I am in simplified mode... So I think that advanced users will continue to use advanced authoring.

BUT - the feedback that we have received on the simplified authoring mode is overwhelmingly positive: It is MUCH easier for the average user, and it allows smart users to learn what they can do in Qlik Sense. So, I think it is here to stay...

If you have suggestions on how we can improve the product further, then please let me know. The product should be easy to use also for advanced users. I have been involved in the requirement specification for this, and would love to hear your view. I am sure you can guess my mail address...

HIC

Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

I prefer it starting in Advanced Mode, myself. Would like to see the Properties Pane available in Simplified View, or provide the option to turn it on/off, or default to last state.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

So, like a user preference: "Always start in Advanced mode"?

sperosck
Employee
Employee

@millerhm , thanks for the useful feedback. Besides seeing the advanced property panel, are there any other aspects of advanced mode that you would want to leverage while still in the simple mode?

VRK
Contributor II
Contributor II

Dear HIC , 

Thank you for your email.  I do follow your notes on variety of subjects and must say they have been very helpful. I also share your articles to my team as I help them with the tool. 

I do .  Its just that for the larger QVDs we have to open the app without the data first , create a new page - switch to advanced mode  and then load the data. If we can have a configuration that a tenant admin can set to "start in advanced mode" it would really help advanced users and also users who have to work with larger data sets. 

RoryMcHugh-Catalyst
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

I mostly use advanced mode, but I'm always switching over to simplified mode for these 3 features (1) applying selections while in edit mode (2) table viewer (reaaally useful) (3) chart filters. It would be handy if these features were available in advanced mode. It doesn't make sense that they are only available in simplified mode.

While I'm here, I've noticed two problems with simplified mode which you might be interested in

1. The table viewer malfunctions when you view tables with a lot of data in - it doesn't respond to or respect existing selections, column headers dissociated with data in the columns etc. The app I was using had a table with >50m rows and 30 dimensions. I raised a support ticket for this but no longer have access to the app (which belongs to a customer) and no spare time myself to test in other apps. Wondering if there's a memory or row limit for the table viewer.

2. You can't edit objects within containers (which means that if e.g. you want to add a chart filter to a chart, you need to start in advanced mode, take it out of the container, switch to simplified mode, edit it, go back to advanced mode, put it back in the container...it means that you can't really work with containers in simplified mode). I've logged an Idea ticket for this

sperosck
Employee
Employee

Hi @RoryMcHugh-Catalyst , great feedback.

Re: the table viewer issues, this was a bug that has been fixed. Now in the table viewer, you can view large datasets. However, when they get to a certain very large size, we disable selections and sorting to improve performance. In the future, we may look at ways to add those features back in for large volumes without negatively impacting performance.

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived