Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

ODBC Connector for Qlik Data Gateway

Alastair_Ometis
Partner - Contributor III

ODBC Connector for Qlik Data Gateway

Hi,

One feature that is obviously lacking from Qlik SaaS is the ability to connect to data sources that do not have a supported connector and are only available via ODBC.

ONe way aroudn this problem is to run Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows (QSEoW) or Qlik Data Transfer (QDT) to connect to these sources to extract and store the required data as QVD data files and then push them to SaaS via QDT.

With the arrival of the Qlik Data Gateway (QDG) we now have support for on-prem data sources that do have a supported connector however QDT/QSEoW and QDG cannot co-exist o nthe same server so we would need to have both a server running QSEoW/QDT and a separate server running QDG if we need to connect to some on-prem data sources that have supported connectors and some that do not.

Can ODBC Data Source access via QDG be enabled preventing the need for two separate servers for this use case.

Tags (2)
40 Comments
Ola_Mayer
Employee
Employee

We are working on this as we speak.

Can you please share with me details about what connectivity you are looking for data sources and the versions. You can also contact me directly at ola.mayer@qlik.com

Status changed to: Open - On Roadmap
AndyTSG

I can give you data sources but unfortunately not versions as I would have to go on each individual site to check which unfortunately time doesn't permit. 

As a starter though for data sources, we have sites using Sage line 50, Sage Line 200, Pegasus, Pegasus Opera and I also know of several sites using the Jet 32 bit ODBC connector.

Hope this helps.

MichaelR1
Contributor II
Contributor II

We primarily need to utilize the Progress OpenEdge 11.7 ODBC Driver from the gateway.

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

ODBC is always a good fallback for certain connections, even SQL.... right now I am in desperate need to use it for MS Access.  While the DataTransfer software does allow me to send ODBC data as a QVD to the cloud, it does not allow for more frequent load than hourly, so being able to use a Data Gateway Direct Access connector for ODBC, along with Qlik Automation, I would be able to refresh the data much more frequently.

PabloLabbeImaps
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

He have customers using legacy databases like  firebird Database,  IBM Informix , Progress and also MS Access  so a connector for ODBC is very welcome ! Some of them are still extracting data locally saving as QVDs and send to the cloud using Data Transfer. Not a perfect solution but it works most of the time.

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi @Ola_Mayer I think the ODBC issue is relatively straightforward, instead of specifying what ODBCs we want, the requirement is a Generic ODBC connector, just like client-managed/data transfer/desktop has with the ability to use whatever ODBCs have been configured on the local machine where the Data Gateway resides. 

Re "connectivity you are looking for": ODBC connections to systems based on SQL Server, Progress, Postgres, FoxPro or MySQL databases, i.e. anything without a dedicated/native Qlik Connector.

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

100% @Carl_Hunter 

Ola_Mayer
Employee
Employee

Thank you all. This is very helpful. Would like to get as many examples as possible.

One question, why are you/your customers using generic ODBC with sources like SQL Server and MySQL instead of using Qlik packaged drivers?

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Apologies @Ola_Mayer  if my comment about using ODBC for SQL confuses matters..  we would of course use the Qlik connectors.  It was purely an example that ODBC is the "swiss army knife" of connectors in my eyes as most current and legacy systems seem to have ODBC drivers.

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@Ola_Mayer one reason why to use ODBC over Qlik packaged drivers is to allow a non-qlik/analytics team to maintain the username/passwords/connection details to the databases. IT might setup the ODBC, then we as analytics people just pull from there, rather than being provided the credentials .