Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Option to zip or not zip reports created with cycling feature

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Option to zip or not zip reports created with cycling feature

When distributing reports through e-mail using a cycle Field, NPrinting always zip the output, no matter if it´s one PDF.

For outputs like Excel, Word, Powerpoint and PDF, it´s desirable to have an option enable or not zip the output or maybe a threshold of number of individual outputs, if it´s higher, than the output is zipped, if it´s below then it´s attached as individual files. For Example: If number of individual pdf files generated by cycle for a recipient exceed 10 files, then he will receive it in a zip file.

I'm aware of mailbox limits, so zipping the content is better, but even with zip as attachment, the mailbox limit can be exceeded.

This feature can help us to migrate a legacy reporting system that actually send reports as individual pdf files and customer want to keep receiving reports by e-mails in same way after NPrinting implementation. Customer can open the reports directly on his mobile. With zip attachment, it´s only possible to open it in the desktop.

#NP16gap

This idea comes from old ideation board. I just copy and paste it here.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
24 Comments
lauranvh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Every single customer wants this feature. 

Fred
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Number one frustration for our NPrinitng customers.
We really should have an option to turn the zipping on or off.

I really don't get why this idea is not even considered for the roadmap by Qlik.
At this point, I don't even bother defending NPrinting when a client starts complaining about the zip files.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I so agree with you @Fred !! I also stopped defending Qlik in this matter....

The truth is that NPrinting ideas dont get that much traction in ideation page as Qlik Sense ideas. There is a simple reason for that - usually only partners are building NPrinting reports for clients so when I have voted for this idea i have represented with me 20-40 other votes which are not counted towards this idea. 

I think someone there has to realize that missing features which were available in v16 and are changing the way NPrinting 17+ is working now are seen very poorly by clients. I still have many clients who are on v16 and cannot be migrated to v 17+ due to few small feature gaps - this one is one of the most important ones.

One could argue that there is always possibility of using scripts and some 3rd party batch files or tools to unpack those zip files - this argument is the "last straw" for clients who are getting angry when we say that and dont want some stiched-up solutions when they are paying premium for premium product. 

Lets wait what are the next features in NPrinting releases - I dont have good feelings though....

mikedeee
Contributor II
Contributor II

I'm in agreement that this would be worthwhile nPrinting feature and ask that it be considered by Qlik.

Our users wish it for 'Qlikly' reading attached reports in emails on mobile devices, and saying Qlik can't do it is pushing them towards supporting other solutions.

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

NPrinting May 2021 Tech Preview (out today) lists this as an improvement so we may actually get something close to what we wish for! 

Cycles produce compressed ZIP files
Zip files produced by report templates with cycles are now compressed if the source file is not already of a compressed type. For example .XLSX, .DOCX, .PPTX, JPG and .PNG are themselves compressed file types and will be no more compressed. Instead .CSV, .SKV and BMP are not natively compressed file types so they will be zipped by Qlik NPrinting if they are in the output of a cycled report.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @AlexOmetis - I looked at it and it seemed completely oposite to what we were looking for. Oh well - tough luck....

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

@AlexOmetis To clarify, if you created a cycled report with an older version and you placed a non-compressed file format inside you get a zip file containing all reports from the cycle but not compressed. I mean in a zip with null compression rate.

Now you still have a single zip file but not natively compressed files types are compressed by Qlik NPrinting so save space.

CSV files are now compressed:

Ruggero_Piccoli_0-1618828512344.png

.XLSX are natively compressed so:

Ruggero_Piccoli_1-1618828615073.png

In both cases you receive an email with attached a .zip file.

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@Ruggero_Piccoli awwh - I thought maybe we'd get one more useful feature for a wide audience from NPrinting before it's moth-balled... but I guess this isn't it... 

francesco_menin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I can't believe this is still waiting, we're relying on external / third-party software to provide this solution with cumbersome and buggy implementations. 😞

doris
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi,

I have the requirement to send non-zipped excel files by buyer+supplier, to be forwarded to supliers without making any changes. Without this option we cannot leave the BI we're using and migrate to Qlik and NPrinting.