Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Qlik sense intellisense - less the "intelli"

markp201
Creator III
Creator III

Qlik sense intellisense - less the "intelli"

Just lose this feature.  One of the biggest pains.  Just about every IDE gives the ability to turn this OFF.

Also, why default to CamelCase on keywords ???   Look awful and makes reading scripts a pain

Just turn it all off and let me do my work.

Tags (2)
18 Comments
dgreene40011
Contributor
Contributor

Long time QlikView developer and relatively new to Qlik Sense - this "feature" drives me crazy. Especially at the end of rows when I press ";".

Please give us the option to disable. Why is this not on the roadmap?

fzalexanderjohn
Creator
Creator

I agree. It is often more than an annoyance than a help.

stephenfr
Contributor III
Contributor III

I agree, I find this feature utterly annoying. Constantly having to cancel or undo the inserted suggestions.

People have been complaining about this since 2016!

It's really time that you allow developers to simply turn it off, or at least explain us how we can break this function in the browser ourselves.

Please fix this, it should not be that hard and would make a lot of developers very happy.

KingsleyJH
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Phase 1: let us disable this feature completely

Phase 2: allow us to choose what prompts we want. Examples:

A: No one wants a prompt after ';'     - this makes no sense

B: Allow us to choose if the suggestions are all lower case or camel case or upper case.

C: Allow us to choose if we want a word completion prompt or an intellisense prompt (eg, we have already typed 'Load' but then get a prompt for distinct).

I think most devs will agree with me when I say, we just want an autocomplete for singular words to make sure we type field names, table names and functions correctly (and view the syntax of the function so we know how to use it). Other than that, I think we'll be fine

SchalkF
Contributor III
Contributor III

I am not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but can it not be set to only populate the intellisense when you press Tab?

When I press Enter to go to the next line, I don't want to populate the rest of the row with the intellisense.  I see a lot of people suggesting to not activate intellisense after ';', but just switch it to not use Enter, but rather only when Tab is clicked.

gramqlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

The autocomplete pop-up in the DLE is a huge annoyance, and in many situations, not just after semicolons.

It's especially prevalent with nested functions. You can be typing / editing one line of code and autocomplete boxes might pop up 8 times. A helpful feature that is so pervasive it has become a hindrance.

You can try to power through, ignoring the frequent pop-ups and continue typing, of course, but this doesn't help when you're editing multiple lines of code, navigating between lines with the arrow keys, you end up moving through the autocomplete options instead, so you have to hit Escape on every line before you can move on.

Worse still is hitting Enter to move to a new line and inadvertently inserting the first autocomplete option, which then has to be deleted.

I also hate the default CamelCase for functions etc. Our standard is to write all code language (functions, operators, conditions, keywords) in UPPERCASE and field names in CamelCase or [Title Case], so if I ever do use the autocomplete feature functions etc., I then have to go back and edit them to UPPERCASE anyway...

Whilst on screen, the autocomplete box also obscures the code directly above, so it's often necessary to hit Escape, just to see your preceding lines of code.

There's also a similar annoyance in the Expression editor. When you're trying to write complex set analysis and half of it is covered up with a syntax tooltip. There, you have to hit Alt instead of Escape, so there isn't even a consistent way to hide Qlik's pop-up items. Hitting Escape there closes the editor, so you if you're not careful, you lose your work. And why does the info box at the bottom need to take up a third of the screen? (yes, I know you can contract it so you just see "OK", but please can we have an option to do this by default?).

These issues have been plaguing us ever since we got Qlik Sense, and they've apparently existed for the last 7 years with no official fix!

PLEASE provide an official option to switch off intellisense (even if it's just per session and we must click an enable/disable toggle button in the DLE and Expression Editor). Better yet, move the autocomplete suggestions to a right-click menu. And if you could allow us to choose our own preferred case for functions etc., that would be great, especially if we could apply it as a global default, to help standardise the code written by all of our developers...

Just found this partial Workaround for disabling Intellisense in the Data Load Editor (advice from 3 years ago!) :

* In the DLE window, append /debug/dle_safe_mode to the end of your URL

From this thread:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/Turn-off-Intellisense-Syntax-Help-in-Qlik-Sense/td-p...

We shouldn't have to resort to safe mode, but this will at least reduce my stress in the meantime!

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived