Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Variables

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Variables

1. Add a sort ascending/descending capability to the Sense Overview.

2. Add search capability to the same.

3. Fix the dreadful - click Edit to save - really !? Edit means edit not save.

4. Flag which variables created in script editor were done with SET or LET.

5. Flag which variables are used in the app with a simple Y/N flag icon.

36 Comments
AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks for the ongoing likes.

Qlik are actively looking at this post and a number of follow-up suggestions. If you would like to suggest additional items here please do so as it is being watched.

The support for ideas such as this has been amazing. It is through this channel that user feedback is genuinely being looked at and in many cases adopted to improve the product.

T_Schmundt
Contributor II
Contributor II

An other point is the quiet small variables overview window as I mentioned in this idea today:

Larger Variables Overview window 

frheblou
Contributor II
Contributor II

I totally aprove this idea and think this should have been basic functionnalities implemented a long time ago.

Using lots of variable in a single app is pretty common for us and the current variable window becomes painful to use.

To the original proposals i would also suggest the mass import/export of variables via an external file or a "table" input

PabloLabbeImaps
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Do we really need to wait for so long to collect feedback for this idea ? It´s still open since november 2019 😥

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am all for it. 

Just wasted so much time deleting +300 variables one by one just because i made a typo in my scipt and all my variable names were prefixed with some random letters...

• Is this good lesson for me to double check - yes it is!
  • Is this a huge shame that in 2021 we need to select each variable individually to delete it - absolutely!

Apart from all other great improvement ideas in this topic I would also add that the size of variable overview window should be enlarged to full screen as doing anything in it is not allowing you to do anything else anyway so why it is so small?

Summary and my thoughts:

I am surprised that this takes so much time to improve. It is a huge pain to everyone who ever had to use current variable overview object in Qlik Sense. On the other hand all APIs are there and technically it is all possible and should not be hard to deliver at all. You may argue - does it bring value to customers if they are not using it? Yes - it does!!! As a partner I am not wasting half hour cleaning variables I accidently created and can deliver something more productive in that time.

It does not take that much to do, so what are we waiting for?

cheers

Digvijay_Singh

Lets start sharing this idea within our network(67 folks who voted for this!) and get good amount of votes to draw the attention.

I think just 67 Likes since 11/19 is not a good number to get immediate attention.

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

@Patric_Nordstromthere seems to be lots of fresh activity on this thread. Please can you kinldy provide an update as to what is possibly in scope for short-term / long-term delivery ? Thanks Andrew.

PS Also tagging @hic as I know there was a 2020 luminary email thread on this too.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

@AndrewMcIlwrick Thanks for the feedback, I have hopes to improve the UI for variables, creating, editing and setting values during 2021. However the roadmap may change as there are other pressing needs at the same time.

Deleting multiple variables is a pain, this is handy https://withdave.com/2019/11/remove-destroy-all-variables-in-a-qlik-sense-application/

Thanks,

Patric

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think there will be a lot of disappointed if this gets de-prioritised.

I am not sure the bookmarklet will be a workable solution - certainly in the FS sector where there are code restrictions, and Chrome is not always the default browser.

Is there an option for Adam Haydon to expand qlik-cli capabilities to derive variable interaction via powershell / qlik-cli and API calls ?

haskia
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

I support this proposal by all means.

The poor design of the variable editor has been bugging me for years - even in earlier QlikView # times. I never understood why such a crucial feature (the search bar) got dropped for Qlik Sense Business.

While you're at it, here is the most important missing feature of the Variable Editor:

What about adding an additional  column to the variable editor that actually shows the current value?!

This way, you could directly identify, which calculations or strings are not returning the expected output.  So you never again have to create 20 temporary KPI Boxes for each time you want to check if variables calculate properly together.

This can't be soo complicated to implement, right?!   😉

Some other things that keep bugging me about the variable editor:

• Why is it not possible to rename variables?
  • Why is it not possible to right-click > duplicate variables?
  • Why is it not possible to right-click > copy & paste variables?
  • Why is it not possible to move the variable editor modal pane?
  • Why is the variable editor displayed in modal window anyway? In Qlik Sense UI, usually all other lists of items are displayed in searchable side panes. Why is the variables button at the bottom there?!
  • Why has no one ever asked these questions before? Since 2014? 😁