Qlik Community

Ask a Question

Support Updates Blog

Important and useful support information about end-of-product support, new service releases, and general support topics.

Announcements
Our next Qlik Insider session will cover new key capabilities. Join us August 11th REGISTER TODAY
Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Qlik Users!

We would like to announce the deprecation of the Centralized Logging service in Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows by the end of 2021.  

We will remove the Centralized Logging service to make Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows more reliable and performant.

Logging will continue to be available in file format. We are updating the monitoring applications to support this change and provide you with the same insights.  

With Qlik Sense Enterprise May 2021 and on, a fresh installation of Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows will not deploy Centralized Logging.  

We will provide a firm date for the removal of the service later this year.

As always, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you for choosing Qlik! 

Kind regards,

Qlik Global Support 

16 Comments
rzenere_methode
Partner
Partner

Hey @Jamie_Gregory,

Could we know why is it going to be deprecated?
From this post I see there are some issues with latest releases of PostgreSQL 12... but is there any other reason?
Knowing them could be helpful, to explain to customers why it is going to be removed (even if, in most of our environments, we avoided installing it)

Many thanks,
RIccardo

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

@rzenere_methode deprecation of centralized logging is not related to the PostgreSQL database. 

My experience is that centralized logging has had limited value for most customers. These would be my main explanation of why database logging is not required in general.

• Modern IT monitoring tools tend to be simpler to integrate with file-based logs than PostgreSQL based log storage
  • Archiving logs to data lakes is typically also simpler with files rather than exporting database content 
  • Logging database requires additional resources, as logging can be quite intense, especially in a larger deployment. If not managed properly this can become a bottleneck in deployment and cause general performance issues.  
  • For critical system problems, the database might also not be fully available. File-based logs are typically preferred or required in parallel, to ensure reliable access for troubleshooting and monitoring. 
rzenere_methode
Partner
Partner

Thanks @ToniKautto, those are the same reasons why we avoided to deploy it!

Riccardo

Andrew_Delaney
Support
Support

Additionally, the logging service never captured all of the logs from the system. None of the microservices have ever used it, so it was never able to fully replace file based logging.

Given the growing number and importance of these services, it would be imprudent to rely only on the contents of the logging database.

rvaheldendaten
Partner
Partner

@mountaindude :  Do I remember correctly and Butler SOS relies on Logging DB? What will this mean for realtime monitoring  for Qlik Sense?

Thx,

Roland

jfkinspari
Partner
Partner

I've recently added an extra measure to the central logging settings, so it also includes a certain disk drives free space %-ratio to the performance logging. That is in addition to the current performance measures, where some of them only exist in the centralized logging database - not in the filelogs.

How do you advice to proceed in order to expose such a measure in the future?