Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Qlik Users!

Last week I blogged about a Qlik Sense Desktop June 2020 Install Issue. To recap, the software would crash when authenticating if a previous version of Qlik Sense Desktop had been installed.

I am happy to report that this issue is resolved in the Qlik Sense Desktop June 2020 Patch 2 installer. The release is now available on the Qlik download site. After installing, verify the version installed is Qlik Sense Desktop June 2020 Patch 2 Update 1.

It was also communicated that the free version of Qlik Sense Desktop was to end on June 30, 2020. Due to the authentication issue, it was pushed back. The new end date for the free version of Qlik Sense Desktop is now July 14, 2020.

Users will still be able to access their Qlik Sense Apps via their local file system (default path is C:\Users\username\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps) and copy the files to other editions of Qlik Sense. 

To continue working in Qlik Sense Desktop, users must authenticate against either SaaS editions of Qlik Sense or Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.  Please note: Authentication against Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows requires a professional license.

Qlik Sense Desktop authentication within SaaS editions of Qlik Sense.Qlik Sense Desktop authentication within SaaS editions of Qlik Sense.

For more information, please see the Changes to Qlik Sense Desktop in 2020 FAQ.

If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments below and we will reach out to the appropriate team if we do not have the answer. Please give this post a like if you found it useful and don’t forget to subscribe to the Qlik Support Updates Blog to stay up-to-date!

Kind regards,

Qlik Digital Support

27 Comments
bediehau
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

If it was fixed in June 2020 Patch 2, then I'm sorry to report that it has returned in Patch 4. At least when upgrading over November 2019.

I've had to uninstall Qlik Sense Desktop completely, and then reinstall June 2020 Patch 4.

Fortunately this does not destroy the work folder's contents, nor does it forget the configured client authentication links.

After uninstall/reinstall, all was working fine.

Applicable88
Creator III
Creator III

Hello,

for the trial of QliksenseDesktop I used a qsd file which I downloaded at the Qlik Developer Site (Qlik Branch).

After I heard about problems with Patch 4 I also tried using Patch 3 Uptdate 1. 

The QSD Unlock File which I copied in the "trial" Qlik folder should put the trial until November 11th 2020. But according to the test countdown its still stated that it will be expiring on 10th September 2020.

Is this issue solved? Does someone has the same problem and found a workaround?

Thanks in advance. 

Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Applicable88  Were you able to try uninstalling/reinstalling with the latest? That seems to be working for everyone else. It is a couple more steps but you won't lose anything. 

I talked to R&D about this and they did extensive testing again today with no issue for any patch version. The only thing I can think of is if the previous version you're upgrading from is causing some issue. We would need to know the previous version to look into that. 

Applicable88
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @Jamie_Gregory ,

thanks for your assistance.

The first version I used was June2020. Its the very first one. I put the QSD unlock file from  Qlik Batch website with no problem and could still use it until this month 10th September.

Actually I did nothing when I wanted to prolonged this version. I saw that they published the other key until November 2020, downloaded it and then put it into the trial folder. But it didn't changed the expiry date. I did of course removed the old qsd unlock file out of the folder first. 

I also heard some users had problems with OneDrive installed. So I made a new installation with QliksenseDesktop patch 4. This time I chosed the custom installation to choose my own directory. Put again the newest qsd file into the trial folder, but it still not working out. Still expiry date of September is shown.

I did same procedure install/deinstall over again  with every patch version. Must be another problem. But I need to mention that it at least opens the program, but seemingly only until expiry date.

I hope you can help me out, since soon its 10th September. 

Thank you.

Best.

Applicable88
Creator III
Creator III

Hello @Jamie_Gregory ,

I just found the problem. If others experienced same problem maybe this will help.

It really goes back to problems with OneDrive. I had to install OneDrive and moved all my documents to OD.  Since I wanted to backing up my Qlik Apps I left them in the documents folder and moved everything altogehter to OD. 

To prevent Qliksense Installer installing the new folder in the OD folder, I did choose the "customize installation" and created a new directory and created the trial folder manually and copied the newest unlock file there. If you now open QliksenseDesktop and it still refers to the old expiry date you, will know it somehow still automatically referring to the OD Qliksense folder...although its not at the same original directory anymore.  Now only removing the Qlik folder from OD, so that the new created folder is the only one it can refers to will solve this problem.  After moving it out, it showed me the newest expiry date.

Best.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

The problem with OneDrive is not specific for this version. OneDrive has been a problem with QS Desktop since at least April 2018 (and probably earlier, but before that I didn't have OneDrive).

Simply do a custom install and make sure you choose a location for your apps / extensions / etc outside of the reach of OneDrive.

Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Applicable88  Please try downloading the unlock file again and replacing the file with the new copy will work. Otherwise, please contact branch.admin@qlik.com.

injsingh2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Applicable88 

Where in Branch did you find the QSD to Nov 11th

Thanks

Applicable88
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @injsingh2 ,

do you already have registered to the qlik branch website? 

Afterwards you have to go to your "Edit Profile". On this page you can find the download link for Qliksense and ALSO the QSD-Unlocking File below. They provide you with a new unlock file ...I think always when the old one is close to expire they will update a new one. 

Dont't forget to create the \trial\ folder and put the unlock file in it. If you have any question don't hesitate to ask again. 

Best. 

injsingh2
Contributor
Contributor

@Applicable88 

Yes I have branch. Have managed to download the file. Thanks