Skip to main content
Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager
How can I track app RAM usage over time?

How do I optimize my applications so that they can stay under the limit?

I am happy to introduce our App Analyzer for Qlik Cloud, that can help answer these questions and more.

AppAnalyzerwithborder.png

The app provides insights on:

• App, Table and Field memory footprints
  • Synthetic keys and island tables to help improve app development
  • Threshold analysis for fields, tables, rows and more
  • Reload times and peak RAM utilization by app
  • And much more!

Jamie_Gregory_1-1597163015603.png

The App Analyzer uses a single REST connection to iterate over application metadata endpoints within a tenant. The data retrieve can then be measured against tenant quotas and user-defined thresholds to empower Admins to act on the insights that the app reveals. To see the app in action, check out this demo:

A few things to note:

• This app is provided as-is and is not supported by Qlik Support.
  • It is recommended to always use the latest app.
  • Information is not collected by Qlik when using this app.
Check out Optimizing Qlik Sense SaaS Apps with App Analyzer for an in-depth dive into the App Analyzer.

The app as well as the configuration guide are available via GitHub, linked below. 

Any issues or enhancement requests should be opened on the Issues page within the app’s GitHub repository.

Be sure to subscribe to the Qlik Support Updates Blog by clicking the green Subscribe button to stay up-to-date with the latest Qlik Support announcements. Please give this post a like if you found it helpful!

Kind regards,

Qlik Platform Architects

Additional Resources:

Techspert Talk: Optimizing Qlik Sense SaaS Apps with App Analyzer

Our other monitoring apps for Qlik Cloud can be found below.

66 Comments
Marco_Dugnani
Employee
Employee

hi @Eli .

the biggest difference is not in the Qlik software but in who manages the hardware.

Qlik sense Enterprise in based on Windows server managed by the customer. Qlik Sense Enterprise Saas is our Saas solution where the hardware is managed by Qlik.

Saas:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Content/Sense_Helpsites/Home.htm

On Prem :

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2021/Content/Sense_Helpsites/Home.htm

about the App Analyzer on Qlik sense Enterprise on prem, when you install the software you have a lot of management and control applications in the path :      c:\programdata\qlik\repository\defaultapps

Eli
Contributor II
Contributor II

hi @Marco_Dugnani 

First Thanks for the info and the prompt reply and the useful links.

Regarding the App Analyzer on Qlik sense Enterprise should I use the same PDF attached to go step by step to install the App Analyzer and it will work or I have to check another PDF version.

CHansford
Luminary
Luminary

@Thomas_Hopp  can you give any  further updates on where the team is at with regard to a Usage monitoring app as that could save me a considerable amount of development time delivering our own, especially as our Senior Team are screaming out for usage statistics as we roll out our apps to 2000 new users

Regards, stay safe

CHris

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

The part of the puzzle that was most concerning for me with regards to monitoring on SaaS was not being able to tell how the analyzer capacity usage was stacking up against available minutes. The management console shows usage against total, but you then have to work out yourself how that sits against expectations for the time of the month. Also, you have to keep going and checking, and we needed something that would alert us.

As a stop-gap to more being provided by Qlik, I have put together a simple application for checking this, and sending an email when usage exceeds the run-rate of minutes for the time of month.

The app can be downloaded from here:
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Documents/Qlik-Sense-App-Monitor-Capacity-Licences-on-Qlik-Cloud-and/t...

And a full tutorial on how it has been put together is here:
https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/sense-capacity-licence-notify/

Hope people find this useful.

Steve

CHansford
Luminary
Luminary

@stevedark I found the blog enlightening and gave me some more ideas with regard to what I could possibly do with the licence element.  Also reminded me that its always a good idea to clean up my script after it has run (best practice and all that) Cheers Steve.

However, not had a reply yet from Qlik or @Thomas_Hopp with regard my previous post in this thread, I guess everyone is too busy with #qlikworld.

Regards and stay safe folks

CHris

Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi all and sorry @CHansford  for the delay. We are as we speak investigating the ability to expose usage data as well as already app related data. One first step here will be shortly the ability to see the Analyzer Capacity usage in more detail in such an App. So yes, we are looking into a way to offer a better and more fine grain monitoring for usage based data. I can't give you a day right now but it is considered as a very important item.  So stay tuned for more updates here soon ... And in case you have any other questions, please let me know. Thomas

lwp89
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I have followed the user guide to the point but when I create the API.. I get following error

Connection failed: HTTP protocol error 401 (Unauthorized):
Requested resource requires authentication.

My user account already has Developer and Tenant Admin role. I have also enabled the API as mentioned in the installation guide.

Cant figure out what could I be doing wrong?

Please help. Thank you

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@lwp89  The errors looks like the rest connector isn't configured correctly. Have you setup the rest connection as per the install notes?

lwp89
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks @Carl_Hunter , I missing a character at the end of the URL while creating the REST connectino.. 

Now that its fixed and the connector is build.. the script is throwing following error

lwp89_0-1629224938783.png

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

@lwp89 

You appear to have the https:// part of the URL duplicated in the WITH CONNECTION of the load? My guess is that this is either because you have it duplicated in a variable, or it needs to be ommited from the variable and just the rest of the URL is required.

Steve