Skip to main content
Bastien_Laugiero

Hi everyone!

This is now my second blog post! yeahhh!!!! And today I wanted to talk about a topic that is generating a lot of discussions in the Qlik Sense Deployment & Management space:

Upgrades and Installations.

Qlik Sense may end up experiencing issues during an installation or an upgrade, even if you’ve already tested the same process in a different environment. Those problems can be time consuming and frustrating to resolve, so I am going to give you some tips on how to accomplish a successful install/upgrade from scratch, and how to troubleshoot an issue, should something go wrong.

Here is what we will talk about

1. Preparation and Best Practices
  2. Install or Upgrade – How to do it?
  3. Troubleshooting

Preparation and Best Practices

To prevent any unpleasant surprises, an installation or an upgrade requires a bit of preparation.

This will ensure that the installer completes on its first try and that you can access the platform afterwards. It also allows for a better understanding and control of your system.

Below are a few key points to check before installing or upgrading Qlik Sense:

• Make sure your environment follows at least the minimum requirements for the version of Qlik Sense you wish to install or upgrade to. This includes Operating System version, hardware requirements, disk space, type of storage, ports, etc. This information is available on qlik.com. (make sure you select the right version top left of the screen)
  • If you are running an Antivirus or any software scanning your machine, be sure to follow our best practice
  • If possible, try to get a dedicated machine to ensure no other software will fight for ports, resources, files…
  • If using a virtual machine, be sure to follow our best practices.
  • If using a physical server, be sure to have a look at our Server hardware whitelist.
  • It’s important for you to know the service account credential going to run the Qlik Sense Services. This should be done by an administrator. If it is not, see the instructions for how to carry out an installation without administrative permissions.
  • Read the Release Notes of the version you are about to install or upgrade to.

In addition, if you are upgrading:

• If you are using other Qlik Products like Qlik NPrinting, Qlik GeoAnalytics, Qlik WebConnector, etc. it’s crucial to verify the Qlik Sense version you are upgrading to is compatible with these products.
  • Test your upgrade in a test environment first. This will help you to understand the process. Then let have a user test the functional part of your platform (apps, feature, etc) in the new version.
  • Most important! Backup of your environment. Learn more about Backups from qlik.com.

In addition, I can only encourage you to take a server backup or a virtual machine snapshot.

• You need to know the Superuser password of your Qlik Sense Repository Database (user is postgres). This should be the same password used during the database backup. If needed, it is possible to reset the PostgreSQL password.

Install or Upgrade – How do to it?

Once you have gathered all information and prepared your installation/upgrade, it’s time to proceed.

I‘m not able to give you better explanation than the steps provided on help.qlik.com, so I will attach the links below.

But, be sure to select the correct version top left of the window:

01.png

For a new installation

For an upgrade

Troubleshooting

02.png

Now the most interesting part: What to do if your installation/upgrade fails?

Well, first we need to find out the root cause and there is no better place for that than the logs.

Luckily, the installation and upgrade logs are stored in the same place which is the user temporary folder running the Qlik Sense installer. (By default: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp)

Below is an example of a failed upgrade. Let’s try to understand what the files are for.

03.png

We can clearly see by sorting the files by Date modified that the installer failed on the service dispatcher and then started to rollback all the services that went through previously.

So, the log is helping us to find the root cause. In this case, it is the Qlik Sense Dispatcher.

Now that we know which logs we should look at, I will tell you what you should search for because these files can become very large.

Basically, if you search for “Return value 3” or “error code 1603” you will find the cause of the failed installation/upgrade.

Back to our example, here is what you will see:

04.png

In this case, the error is pretty explicit. Basically, it looks like an Antivirus blocked one of the PowerShell script to execute properly.

But all the above is provided as a guideline to find out the root cause. There will probably be error messages in those logs that are less explicit and in this case,  I would highly recommend you to search this exact error message in our knowledge base. #QlikSupport  is documenting every error messages identified during case’s investigation, so you will likely find it there.

Help Us Improve

Finally, I want to highlight that just before launching your installation/upgrade, I recommend ticking the box Help Us Improve. This will help us to potentially identify patterns in failure and improve our installer by making it more robust.

05.png

Thank you for reading my blog post and I really hope it helps you prepare for your next installation.

I’ll be watching for your questions, feedback or suggestions so please comment!   

6 Comments
dionverbeke
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
It still does not remedy the fact that Qlik Sense Error Message are cryptic. The last one I got was: Error, Error...
0 Likes
Bastien_Laugiero

Hello, 

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that the error messages displayed in the logs are sometimes not very clear and this is why the "Help us to improve" checkbox is important. 

There are multiple failure reasons and the list we have today might not be correct tomorrow. This is why in this blog post I have been focussing on finding out the error message itself so that you can then use it to search for an article in our knowledge base.

I haven't personally met the error message you described before but if you still have the installation logs, I would be happy to take a look. 

msachdeva
Contributor
Contributor

One of my frustration points has been the ability to rollback changes if an upgrade fails? My upgrades have *never* been successful. After any failure, the qlik install is left useless in a state of half-installed, half-configured services. Surely you can use system restore points to rollback cleanly in your installer if needed?

0 Likes
Chris_Rice
Support
Support
Hey Msachdeva, This is great feedback, thanks! The product should roll back currently if the installation fails, but we understand that this is not always the case. Whether an installation fails or succeeds, it is very helpful if you elect to share your install information in the "Help Us Improve" section of the installation program. This data is actively being used to improve the install and upgrade process. In the situation where the installation fails and subsequently fails to roll back, there are two things to solve: 1. Why did the installation fail to begin with? 2. Why did it not roll back? Number 1 can usually be solved by looking in the install log for the last component installation attempt, then looking at that component's specific log for the string "value 3". Whatever comes before that string can usually be found in our KB (support.qlik.com). As for why the rollback failed, if there's not a clear error in the install log it's best to ask the question in a Community Post or a Support Case. Once again, thank you for your feedback, we are actively working to improve these processes.
0 Likes
keithyowell1
Contributor
Contributor

I can search for the term "rollback" in my logs and nothing comes up.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @keithyowell1 A rollback may not always be initiated. 

If your install failed, looking for "Return value 3" is your best bet for finding the error.

All the best,
Sonja