Qlik Community

Third-Party Qlik Jobs

Area for people to learn more about current Qlik related job postings.

Not applicable

Can i Choose QlikView as career after 11+ years of experience in IT on MS Technologies

Hi All

I have 11+ years of IT Experience in Microsoft Technologies from core developer to technical project management roles.  Recently  i had a chance to feel the beauty of QlikView presentation and started building the passion to switch to QlikView.

Can someone help me in supporting me whether my decision is wise at this point of career switch?

Rama Kanth

5 Replies
henrikmatz
Contributor II

Re: Can i Choose QlikView as career after 11+ years of experience in IT on MS Technologies

I believe that a all round qlikview developer needs several skills:

1) QlikView design skills. The ability to design functional dashboards to the end users.

2) ETL skills. The ability to create a data model that supports the business demands. When using Qlikview as ETL tool, you need good skills in Qlikview scripting and knowledge in how to solve standard issues like incremental loading, slowly changing dimension etc.

3) Business understanding. The ability to understand the business and there reasons for there dashboards demands. If you have very good skills, you are able to design a data model also for future demands from the business.

4) Project management skills. The ability to deliver in time and to make the right priorities when time is not enough.

5) SQL and database skills. A lot of source systems are stored in databases, so you need experience in making SQL to draw data from the systems.

6) Data warehousing skills. The knowledge of best practice in building data warehouses.

7) Generel IT skills. Knowledge about active directory, NTFS etc. on a basic level.

But I also believe, that you can be a good QlikView developer if you are specialized in some of them. This depends on the situation, your business, colleagues etc.

if you are comfortable in some of the skills, but not then all - My advise is to seek knowledge and build up and/or ask/buy help from professionals.

This is of course very general in a very big subject.

/Henrik

hariharasudan_p
New Contributor III

Re: Can i Choose QlikView as career after 11+ years of experience in IT on MS Technologies

Hi Rama Kanth

We are proud to welcome you as always. I am working with this for last 3.5 yrs.

Oppurtunites i see here are just one word WOW. Even my salary crosses USA google and microsoft. Believe me it is true,

Even wipro CEO has recently said, in next 3 yrs.. 30% income will be from analytics and reporting than from technologies.

I am not against of technology, since i am from No 1 college of tamil nadu and CSE grad But SMAC going to rule the BI world..

Final point is you are always welcome. I can help u...Smiley Happy

hariharasudan_p
New Contributor III

Hi rama

can u send me ur personal email id.. i wish to talk to you

Not applicable

Hi Rama Kanth,

Its been a year since you posted this question on the board. So what career option did you choose? Can you please share your insights, this could be helpful for a lot of others who might have same questions as you did earlier?

Not applicable

I am also looking for the response from Ramakanth.