Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pre-caching and J-Meter

Hi all,

I'm trying to make the user experience for the first user of a large document as smooth as possible by using pre-caching.

I believe there is a tool called J-Meter which can be used to achieve this.

I have downloaded it, but haven't a clue on how to go about installing and using it.

I have heard only good things about it, so very eager.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Bill,

All you say above is true: Documents can be preloaded in the QMC and JMeter is a test tool.

However, what JMeter does is run the QlikView Ajax interface and perform clicks simulating actual users to record response times. Although in this case response times are not useful, because she does not want to test the app, clicking on each tab will make charts to get calculated, therefore cached, therefore improving user experience. It's one way of doing it unattended. I have seen other cases using similar tools like Selenium for the same purpose.

I agree that this is not the best way to do it as I tend to think that you can always do something else in the source data, script or charts to make them run smoother, but real life scenarios are usually so complex that you cannot spend time in improving rather than making the user happy. Obviously, once you have set the patch you should look for the proper solution.

Best,

Miguel

View solution in original post

5 Replies
mjm
Employee
Employee

Hello Xena,

There are plenty of tutorials and manuals available on JMeter through the JMeter website. Equally a search on Google has brought up a link to a useful YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NLeq-QxkSw

Please mark this as useful if it helps.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Xena,

I'd recommend you to use our own Scalability Center tool. It is based with JMeter but with a graphical interface that helps you build the script of clicks you want to follow: from opening the document to shifting tabs or clicking on fields or objects.

Best,

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Xena

JMeter is a load testing tool and as such will not help you make the user experience for the first user of a large document as smooth as possible by using pre-caching.

What you need to do is in the QMC [QlikView Management Console] to preload the qvw, so when the first person uses it, it will have already been pre=loaded into RAM.

Best Regards,     Bill

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Bill,

All you say above is true: Documents can be preloaded in the QMC and JMeter is a test tool.

However, what JMeter does is run the QlikView Ajax interface and perform clicks simulating actual users to record response times. Although in this case response times are not useful, because she does not want to test the app, clicking on each tab will make charts to get calculated, therefore cached, therefore improving user experience. It's one way of doing it unattended. I have seen other cases using similar tools like Selenium for the same purpose.

I agree that this is not the best way to do it as I tend to think that you can always do something else in the source data, script or charts to make them run smoother, but real life scenarios are usually so complex that you cannot spend time in improving rather than making the user happy. Obviously, once you have set the patch you should look for the proper solution.

Best,

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Many thanks for the advice!