we did not resolve the Problem yet, but found something interesting.
We tested a big document 8 Gb in differente Environments, using always the same steps, i.e., opening document, clicking on tab, selecting Chart, doing filter ,.. etc. and took note of RAM usage. Everytime was the QVS restartet
QV Environment (web Server virtual machine on DMZ / QVS on physical machine in Intranet)
all users log as custom users (no use of AD)
QVS RAM = 128 GB
QV document Size = 8 GB. When document is open the RAM usage is 14 to 15 Gb
we tested on:
1. Access Point intern (Intranet) as custom user Ajax and plugIn
2. Access Point extern (Extranet) as custom user Ajax (plugin did not work for users via Internet, Tunneling Problem)
3. QV Desktop, working remote on the Server directly
4. Access Point from extern via VPN plugin
1. for Ajax (intern and extern), we open the document and tried to open some Charts and the browser showed a "lost Connection" to Server message. The RAM usage went in seconds from the normal Level (58.5GB) to over Maximum working set Limit (120 GB), and then become stable at 65 GB. Doing the same with other Chart happened the same and then the document was not responsive (it hanged) and needed to Close. Extern and intern we got the same behaviour . Using QV 11 SR2 this was not the behaviour with the same Settings and IT architecture.
2. for plugin (Intranet) the behaviour of the RAM was as expected
3. for the qv Desktop, the behaviour of the RAM was as expected
4. Using vpn, the behaviour was as expected for the plugin
The Ajax Client causes the high Level of RAM consumption. Other smaller documents have the same Problem, but as they are small, there is still enough Memory. RAM usage does not reach the max working set limit
PlugIn works well, unfortunately and because of our Tunneling Problem, it is not working for external users that Access over Internet and https
We do not know why is this Happening.
with SR4 the Performance issues started, but then QlikTech Support said it was a Software Bug and we upgraded to SR5. However, Performance with the Ajax Client is still bad, and the behavior of the RAM usage is not as it shall be.
Cases are opened, but we still need update on them. we got a QlikTech Consultant, but he did not solve the problem either.
I update once this is solved
We have solved this issue with Qliktech help. We reviewed the Installation of QV 11.2 SR5 and all Clients plug in, Ajax , Desktop Client, were working as expected. No RAM highs
QlikTech tested a sample application (approx 1.5 GB) in different QV Versions and RAM and CPU behaved similar
RAM consumption is following a normal trend, based on a facto 6 to 8 (QVW doc size vs RAM Usage)
after the QV 11.2 SR4 / SR5 Installation (we did both Upgrades within three weeks, Nov - Dez 2013), we observed several issues, but the most important was the Performance with the Ajax Client for internal and external users.
As said, we have a Qlikview Server and a Web Server IIS on a DMZ, external communication over https
RAM behaved with the Ajax Client as showed in the figure attached. When doing a test operation, the RAM Usage went from 58.6 GB to 119 GB in 10 seconds to go down to 65.8 GB in the next 10 seconds. I did the same on the QV Desktop Server and saw a normal behavior, RAM Usage went from 58.6 to 73.1 GB in 20 Seconds
The apparent problem was the Ajax Client not working correctly (the plugin was not working, so i could not test it, but theoretically it shall be better, since it connects directly to the QVServer).
Main issues found in our System by the Qliktech Consultant:
- No ISAPI.dll in 11.2 SR5 (for SR4 we installed the ISAPI Filter manually) >>> lead to the main Problem of the installation
- No Traffic in ports 4747 and 4774 for external users, but traffic over 4747 for internal users (Intranet) >> No Tunnel
The solution was to reinstall the web Server and set the Features again, because there was the suspicion that the Installation file (msi) was wrong and that is why the Isapi filter was not automatically installed by qlikview during the Installation process.
After reinstalling, we did not see the RAM Usage behavior again and the tunelling was working fine (PlugIn), what confirmed that the Installation file was not the correct one. However I see that the Memory usage stucks always at 96 GB what was not the behavior before (it was 70-75GB), and decided to buy more RAM, other solution is to restart the QVS on Weekends and free Memory. Unfortunately i cannot objectively compare individual applications or objects, since we have no test System.
hope this helps