Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Performance question

Hello,

I'm just now wondering whether there is a performance penaly when using a text field instead of number one in expressions.

Let's say I have the following fields among others:

- session_id which is a distinct number for each session with the following Qlikview tags ($key, $numeric, $integer) (e.g. 10340)

- id which is a distinct string for each session with the following Qlikview tags ($ascii, $text) (e.g. 0a0a24def1c42c6b14195ebdf9b3)

And then most of my charts are using expressions like:

COUNT(DISTINCT session_id)

My idea is just use id because it is already unique so will allow me remove session_id which I've to generate using sequences.

Then the big question would be:

- Will Qlikview perform as good as it is now? or by using text fields this would make qlikview performing really bad?

I will do a test but before I'd like to gather some of your experience on this.

Thanks in advance,

Ferran.

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I set your answer as helpful but I haven't been able to find an answer for my question in that thread.

Thanks,

Ferran

Colin-Albert

The comments against Henric's Blog have some options that are relevant to count performance and your specific question.

The factor that seems to influence the count performance is whether the field you are counting is in the fact table or if you are counting a field in an associated table especially if there are multiple hops across other tables to the field.