7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2014 3:50 AM by Byron Van Wyk RSS

Model driven architecture

Eva Polini

Hi,

Is there someone developing with a model driven architecture (MDA)? How far are you? did you find some limits due to the tool?

Am I alone on that subject??

I will be happy to share with people working on that.

Eva

• Re: Model driven architecture
          Byron Van Wyk

What do you mean MDA? Developing in the sense of setting up an application layer, a data layer and then feeding that into a QVW? So a proper architecture for enterprise deployments?

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi Byron and Eva,

if it is so (like Byron suggested), then I'll be happy to also do my little part in being unhelpful ;-)

In our company, the architecure is three-tier:

- First comes a qvw without GUI, loading data from the Database and saving qvd_files.

=> Then comes a "DataModel" that loads all the qvd_files and builds a data_model

=> That is then loaded (BINARY) into (most of) the apps.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

sujeet singh

This term is the same as Byron

Friedrich Hofmann

Hi,

as far as limits - so far I am conscious of only one real limit - well, rather a drawback, not an absolute limit - the size. A data_model of that kind can get huge and especially if people are connected via VPN and open an app using it, that might turn out troublesome.

You can, however - and we have tried that - create several different smaller DataModels, for just a few apps.

One thing we thought of trying, but haven't succeeded with yet, is

=> making a small DataModel that is sufficient for some apps and then

=> loading it BINARY into a secondary bigger DataModel and adding tables as per requirement for other apps.

HTH,

DataNibbler

Eva Polini

Hi guys,

Sorry I was away!! great to see answers !!Ok, I will try to explain clearly.

My Goal is to be able to load any new source just with a parameter file update.

The script will load a metamodel. The metamodel sctrucure comes from the script, metamodel data comes from the parameter file.

After the script will load all the data.

I did that for a small project. I was working despite I had some conceptualization issues. and It just adapt to the project, not enough general to be usefull.

My points: could we do all operations on this way? do we need to process operations in a special order? if yes, how to find the best order to optimize it? any other limitations?