cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Global Document Extension

What is the cleanest way to inject a Document Extension into every document on a server? I don't want to have to add it individually to each document.

-Rob

4 Replies
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

Good question. There is no API method to automate it 😃

Two possible directions that come to mind are either use some automation tool that emulates the user behavior either check if extension properties is stored in xml within prj folder.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

I should clarify my scenario. I want a Document Extension to be in every document on the Test Server, but not the Prod Server. So I would prefer to not actually update the Document properties. My preference would be to add the extension at runtime. I'm thinking of updating opendoc.htm and wondering if there was any experience with this.

-Rob

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Some thoughts...

The document extension needs to be installed on Prod to be able to be used by the application.. so what if you just leave it out on prod and have it only installed on test? Alternatively disable Extensions in the security settings, but this might interfere with any other extensions deployed..

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

My plan at this point is to have a copy of the Extension that does nothing -- a NoOp -- on the Prod Server. The test server will have active code. I will just have to add the extension to every document properties.

I would prefer to inject it the server level, but there doesn't appear to be a supported method to do that.

-Rob