6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2015 5:40 AM by Sebastian Öhman RSS

Passing parameters in Supporting Tasks

Hi,

Is there any way to pass parameters to a Supporting Task defined as an external program?

Currently we have:

-Task A (External Trigger)

--- Supporting Task B (after Task A finishes)

Task A is triggered by EDX with one variable passed: myVar = 1

When Task B runs the external program, I'd like to use the myVar value passed before, so I could execute "C:\MyExternalCommand.exe /myVar=1"

Is this possible?

Thanks

• Re: Passing parameters in Supporting Tasks

In plain, no.

The taskchain in Publisher can only exacute on Success or failure.

So it won´t rrecognize if a trigger has excuted on a  varible, it only execute on state on the task

Sebastian Öhman

I would like to have parameter support as well, at least built in parameters.

I have a notification script, which I want to run on failure.

I'm missing two things:

1) A trigger that globally triggers on _any_ failure (or success).

With the current implementation I have to add one trigger for every task I want to monitor.

Or at least a way to select multiple tasks in one trigger.

2) Variables that I can use when calling the external program, for example $triggeringTaskName

With the current implementation, I have to add one external task for every task I want to check and do a unique execution for.

Current setup, 3x supporting tasks

A)

Trigger: Failure Task1

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe "Task name 1"

B)

Trigger: Failure Task2

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe "Task name 2"

C)

Trigger: Failure Task3

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe "Task name 3"

Wanted scenario

A)

Trigger: Any-Task-Fails

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe $triggeringTaskName

Peter Cammaert

If you operate a Publisher, you can assign three or more triggers "on Failure" to a single Supporting task.

Passing QMC parameters to a Supporting task is not possible. In that case you're better off with three task definitions because you can embed the failure details in the command line.

Peter

Hello!

• Yes, I can assign multiple triggers, but then my receiving script won't know which trigger that was triggered?
                    • I operate a publisher, how do I embed the failure details in the command line? I (quickly) read the help but did not see that?
                    • Finally, my example was just an example, in reality i have 100+ tasks, and adding/maintaining triggers for all of them is a hassle. Therefore a */catchall "on failure" with a parameter of which task that failed would be a really nice thing to have.

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

/Sebastian

Peter Cammaert
                        • True, that's the tradeoff for not having to create 100+ additional and almost identical failure registration tasks.
                        • I don't know. You are free to put anything in the command line that is acceptable to the program you try to run. Suppose your command line says something like this: C:\Program Files\Report\Report.exe -msg="ABC", then you can adjust the msg parameter for every other task you need to trigger. Of course this only works if you keep to the 100+ additional failure registration tasks.
                        • I do believe that this is a major hassle. But unfortunately there is no standard solution available as you describe. Maybe you can request a new QlikView Server feature in Ideas

I guess you could use the management API to create a task monitoring tool that checks for task failures and reports them in a generalized way. But I'm sure that building your own tool is part of range of possible solutions you are envisioning...

Best,

Peter