7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2014 5:05 AM by Adam Bellerby RSS

Background image in a Scatter Plot?

stefano santini

Is actually possible insert an image as background in a scatter plot ?

Thanks a lot.

• Re: Background image in a Scatter Plot?
          Michael Tarallo

Stefano - not in the actual design of a sheet - BUT - yes in a story using Data Storytelling.

What you can do is layer your snapshot of the chart object over an appropriately sized background image, because the concept of layers exists in Storytelling.

See screen of a quickly and crude screenshot:

back_scatter.jpg

Mike Tarallo - Qlik

Michael Tarallo

Stefano - not in the actual design of a sheet - BUT - yes in a story using Data Storytelling.

What you can do is layer your snapshot of the chart object over an appropriately sized background image, because the concept of layers exists in Storytelling.

You can copy your images to C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Content\Default\Images

• Restart Desktop
            • Then the image will be available in the selection dialog
            • In Storytelling you can right click on the object to change the layer.

7-24-2014 12-29-48 PM.jpg

stefano santini

Thanks Michael.

I hope this feature appears in future version of Qlik Sense

Michael Tarallo

Hello Stefano - I am not sure if this is something that is intended for this type of product. There is a significant distinction between self-service visualizations (Qlik Sense) and guided analytical applications (QlikView) - where QlikView might be more suited to your needs and does have this capability of adding a backgound images to a chart object.

With Sense, if you need to present the information with context and custom graphics - this "technique" I described in Data Storytelling might be the best option.

Also keep in mind there are best practices when defining visualizations, so please take that into consideraton as you design your app.

Check this out: Special Interview With Stephen Few, Dashboard and Data Visualization Expert

A great resource to review and increase your knowledge in this subject.

Regards,

Mike

Stefano Santin

Dear Stefano,

I'd like to inform you that there should be a wrong email address into you personal account on QlikView, as I am receiving notifications of your activity on the platform. Could you please take a look at your account and change the configuration? Thanks a lot! :-)

Regards,

Stefano Santin (without final "i")

Adam Bellerby

Hi Stefano,

As Mike says, it is possible to do this in Storytelling, however, and you probably know this already (coming from a data visualisation perspective in QV11 and Sense), I would only look to add images to a scatter when the image has a direct link to the placement of the plots, for example a map or floor plan. I would strongly advise against any other "art work" being added when it has no link to the data itself.

I still see people adding images to the back of bar charts which is another BIG no no.

Cheers.

Adam.