Thanks for the reply.
I tried adding it to the "local intranet zone" and it didn't fix it. I do have Active Directory set up in the DSC settings. It's the only DSC setting I have entered.
I have a POC environment set up from when we were evaluating Qlikview and did not have this issue on that server. If I transfer my license to that server I don't get this issue. I double checked all of the settings and the only difference is we do not have Publisher on the production environment.
I have also tried a DNS flush and cleared by browser cookies an cache.
yeah, it has to do with RFC 1912, which browsers have problems translating "underscores" and/or other special characters. Note if this fixes the issue, is not a Qlikview issue but a DNS issues instead.