14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 5:34 AM by Angad Singh RSS

Future of Qlikview Developer

Suraj Kumar

Hi,

I read that Qlikview Sense is developed a self service BI, so user can simply drag and drop to build or extend visual analytics.

Does it mean that there is no need to qlikview developer to build Dashboards using QlikSense?

Is Qliksense the next version of Qlikview v11??

• Re: Future of Qlikview Developer
          Sonja Bauernfeind

Hey Suraj,

QlikSense is a new, independent product. You don't need a QlikView Developer alongside it (though you can still have them installed side-by-side).

Feel free to review the FAQ for a little more information on this.

/Sonja

Alexander Karlsson

Hi Suray,

For users to be able to freely create visualizations on complex data it needs a solid data model in the bottom.

There is still need to join multiple data sources, define dimensions and measures together with the business and to provide documentation.

In my personal opinion I see the Qlik Developer as an enabler of the business. You provide them with the baseline that they can freely explore.

Qlik Sense is not the next version of QlikView. It is a separate product line and the QlikView product line is still being invested into.

Hi Alexander,

Would you think that the demand for qlik developers would actually increase taking into account that many the qlikview 11.2 have to be re-writen in the front end before the support of qliktech to the aforementioned prouct ends(three years if I am not mistaken)?

Alexander Karlsson

Well I guess time will tell

My point is that the talent our Qlik developers are sitting on is wasted on creating charts and tables.

That is certainly something everyone should be able to do and let the Qlik developer focus on what he or she is talented at, defining the components that make up the chart such as dimensions and measure, joining several disparate data sources into a readable and understandable data model, translating the needs of the business into a actionable data model that everyone can consume.

I think we can all agree on that the bulk of time (albeit short time) in a QlikView 11 project is spent on building the data model, writing expressions and as you go re-asses the project scope since the requirements tends to be a living document together with QlikView 11 and I guess even more so with Qlik Sense since you can explore the data even faster.

Dave Riley

Whilst Sense certainly looks nice, for me it is too early to tell what benefit I, personally, will actually get until it is a more mature product and I know what the costs are going to be.

One of the pleasures of using Qlikview is the variety and challenges of creating visuals and not being tied to just data modelling all the time.  Maybe in the future we will have users who are confident in building their own front-end objects, but I fear an explosion in pie-charts and huge data tables (with exporting capabilty of course) if I was to unleash this on them at the moment! The end result would be no better than what has been achievable in Excel for years. In any case, you end up with multiple users all trying to build the same reports - invariably ending up with differing degrees of success - because their requirements are being driven by the demands of clients, management, government legislation etc. and not out of data curiosity (or data discovery if you prefer the term). Surely the idea of having pre-built reports & dashboards guarantees consistency and that brings us back to where we are now!  Maybe this isn't the case in all industries, but it is in the one I am in now, and the one before, and the one before that.

What I am driving at is that self service data to the masses isn't new, and in my experience regularly fails. The discovery of data patterns belongs to the low pool of creative users in a business - the business analysts, data modellers/developers and statisticians. Most of whom are already using Qlikview or an alternative product already.

Recently at a Qlik event, we were informed that support for Qlikview will be at "least 3 years". This will likely extend, I would expect, however it does suggest they at least have an end-date envisaged. It will be interesting to see how Sense performs in the BI  market over the coming years.

• Re: Re: Future of Qlikview Developer
                            Deepak Vadithala

flipside wrote:

Maybe in the future we will have users who are confident in building their own front-end objects, but I fear an explosion in pie-charts and huge data tables (with exporting capabilty of course) if I was to unleash this on them at the moment!

Thoughtful and I totally agree with your points. Especially the ones in bold & italic!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

DV

Alexander Karlsson

Totally agree, but I think there is an interesting middle ground also.

As an example, internally at Qlik we ran a QlikView 11 application that tracked time spent on deals by Solution Architects. The data model was fairly complex with multiple data sources and a large user base with SA's, Managers and Team Leaders across the world using the app on a daily basis.

To be able to accommodate all of the users needs the application grew in size. But for me, that application contained 3 charts that I were interested in for my day-to-day work, sadly those three charts were on 3 different sheets and it was always a hassle trying to remember the numbers of one chart while navigating to a different sheet somewhere else.

Long story short, I'm lazy so I built my own app instead that had the charts I was interested in . That was great for me but horrible from a governance stand point as I was now running a rouge app outside of the standard deployment.

Now if I would have had Qlik Sense Server at the time I would have quickly been able to create my own sheet using the charts already in the master items or created my own chart with the dimensions and measures. Once I was happy with the result I would have been able to share that sheet with my team and effectively would have a created a small slice of the enormous data set that was highly relevant to me and my colleagues. Now that is also a take on self-service

Oh and do I need to point out that I could have done it from my iPad/Surface Pro, the data and definitions would have been centrally managed and that I could just fire up my phone in the field and check the latest numbers without even having to start up my laptop?

Steve Dark

For me, I think how the two separate products are licenced is going to be very interesting.  I can see that someone building a self service type app in Qlik Sense that they can then share with a QlikView developer for them to turn it into a QlikView application for guided analytics is a very interesting proposition.  However, if the cost of having both products in an organisation is double that of having either then this perhaps is unlikely to happen.  People will opt for one or the other, and potentially lose out as a result.

How many features jump from one product to the other (perhaps Storyboarding in QlikView 12?) will also be interesting to see over time.

Steve

• Re: Re: Future of Qlikview Developer
                            Deepak Vadithala

Just adding to Alexander's points.

We still need someone to maintain the object repository created by Qlik Sense users. And I think we still need a developer to administer, create efficient data model, implement security and create extensions/ mashups in Qlik Sense.

I think we should embrace the change and see this as opportunity area.

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Hi Suray,

I think that QlikView Developers are still necessary.

Except for users that have to analize just few sources with simple data model.

Josh Good

Hi,

Great discussion on how QlikView and Qlik Sense fit together. I thought I add a few 'official' pieces of information from Qlik to help inform your discussion.

• Qlik Sense is for self-service visualisations.  QlikView is for guided analytics. There are pros and cons to both approaches as pointed out above.  Each business will need to pick which approach (or both) will better address their needs.
                                • Qlik Sense Desktop is the first version of Qlik Sense available. There will be a server version later this year which will have all sort of additional capabilities including the ability to govern the environment.
                                • There are no plans to discontinue QlikView. Qlik is continuing to invest in QlikView.  The "at least three year of support" statement is about showing commitment to QlikView not foreshadowing an end date.

I hope this info helps with your discussion.  Thank you for your enthusiasm!!

-Josh

Angad Singh

I personally feel Qlik Sense will make the job easy for technical business users. By that I mean is, if the business user is well aware about what information and how they want to see it, then they can most likely develop them in Qlik Sense (Initially)

But in most of the cases, the developers have the raw information, and they act as designers to give a WOW factor to the user, that this information can also be seen with another angle too.

A developer can only make enhancements to a well defined data model or visual element without affecting the rest of the app.

Also, All BI solutions are not that easy to just drag and drop them.

Thanks,

Angad