21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2016 5:21 PM by Nathaniel Anderson RSS

Detached lease license

Hello, I read QlikView License Leasing Technical Brief Paper.pdf but I find a special paragraph that got my attention.

In page 4 the document talk about Segregated environments and says:

"In scenarios where the Developer is completely detached from the QlikView Enterprise Server and is therefore unable to obtain a license lease via port 4747, no other option exists other than to contact QlikTech who will issue Local License Keys that will need to be installed locally"

I have a similar case because a provider has installed a software here in a desktop PC and generate a report in Qlikview to consume the generated data. This report won't be modified only will be updated with new information.

In this case, could I obtain a detached license (Named CAL or document CAL) as the paragraph mentioned?

This could help to save money.

Thanks in advance

David

• Re: Detached lease license
          Ashfaq Mohammed

Hi

Try by removing url after you lease license.

url location is shown in shown in page 7.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Bill Britt

Hi,

I have never heard of removing the URL and not sure it would be in agreement of the license agreement. The Desktop Client ties to contact the server when it starts up and will continue to do so for 28 days. At the end of 29 days if no server contact has been made it will revert to Personal version.

Bill

Chris Rice

If you have a situation where it would be preferable for your end user to not connect to the network once every 30 days in order to re-lease that license then you should contact your account manager at Qlik and ask them to convert one of your Named User CALs to a Developer License.

Ashfaq Mohammed

Hi cre

I have seen a case let say.

User1 is leasing License from Server on his personal Laptop in his Office.

Now he is disconnected from QlikView Server domain.

Takes the content back home and work from home.

Once he open QlikView Desktop, then it tries to contact Qlikview server and it get personnel Edition due to non availability of server as he is working from home.

would removing URL I specify above in my post will help here or you have some alternate to this.

Or its against License agreement as said by bbt

Regards

ASHFAQ

Chris Rice

Hi ASHFAQ,

If User1 is using the same laptop he was using in the office, then the license should be leased and he should not be in Personal Edition.  If for whatever reason he is in Personal Edition after leasing a license earlier in the day there's something else going on and I would look into that.

It seems that the URL you are referring to is the AP URL, which only comes in to play if you're going to Tools > Open QlikView Access Point.  If you're not connected to the network that URL won't work, but I'm not sure how removing it would play in this scenario.  Also, removing that URL should violate any license terms unless I am completely misunderstanding the situation.

Ashfaq Mohammed

Thanks for the clarification

Chris Rice wrote:

If User1 is using the same laptop he was using in the office, then the license should be leased and he should not be in Personal Edition.  If for whatever reason he is in Personal Edition after leasing a license earlier in the day there's something else going on and I would look into that.

Yes He is using Same Laptop. Whenever he open his QlikView Desktop from home I think Qlikview tries to connect to server again as it could not find server then it is personalizing his desktop.

What Could be the reason?

Chris Rice wrote:

It seems that the URL you are referring to is the AP URL, which only comes in to play if you're going to Tools > Open QlikView Access Point.  If you're not connected to the network that URL won't work, but I'm not sure how removing it would play in this scenario.  Also, removing that URL should violate any license terms unless I am completely misunderstanding the situation.

If we remove that url then server cannot make back connection and I think his lease will not lost.

I'm I correct?

How can we prevent this.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Nathaniel Anderson

Once you get the "local" aka "developer license", how do you use it?

Here are examples of the fields I expect when I requested a developer license:

Quote Number

PO Number

Quantity

Product

License Key

Control Number

What do I do with these fields? License Lease has clear instructions, but what about a developer license?

Nathaniel Anderson

Oh! If I get a fresh install on a fresh computer, it is obvious; it will prompt you to enter the license keys:

how_to_install_with_local_developer_license.PNG

But I can't figure out how to get a previously "License Leased" Qlikview installation to forget that it's License Leased!

I tried

• Uninstalling, reinstalling
                            • Uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling
                            • Uninstalling, deleting all the Qliktech folders in AppData, restarting, reinstalling
                            • Uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting the Settings.ini part which referenced the License Leasing

-- It just recreates all those folders! Any advice here?   

Nathaniel Anderson

Does validating the Qlikview "local" / "development" license require an internet connection ever?

1. i.e. requiring internet-connection just-once to validate the local-license
                                2. or requiring internet-connection all-times to validate the local-license

Both are considered "requiring an internet" for the purposes of my question

And I'm also wondering whether I can apply the local/developer license so that a SVC account can use it

1. So for example, if using a local/development license would allow ALL users (including a SVC account) on that computer to run Qlikview, then this is fine
                                2. But if it only local/development-licenses the logged-in user (i.e. me) to run Qlikview, but not other accounts (i.e. SVC account), then this may cause issues for me
                                    Bill Britt

No, If you don't have internet connectivity, it will give you the below options after you click next a couple of times. Select the middle option to Enter LEF. You will have to have the LEF to enter it.

lef.png

Bill

Nathaniel Anderson

OK, so in total I need 3 things to complete my "offline license"

All 3 things my Qlik Account Manager was able to provide me.

(Thanks Bill, Adam, John)

On the first page of wizard:

1. License Key
                                        2. Control Number

On a subsequent page 

3. LEF (license enabler file)

Note that LEF is just a string structured in a specific way

Based on what my Account Manager sent me (I stripped out the sensitive parts, wrapped in curly brackets), the pattern looks like this:

{ControlKey}

PRODUCTLEVEL;{Num};;2017-06-29

EMBEDDED_PRODUCTLEVEL;{Num};;

X64;{YES|NO};;

{4digits}-{4digits}-{4digits}-{4digits}

Note that LEF is probably related (i.e. I assume you can check what you've entered after you've entered it) as shown here:

another place license enabler file will appear.png

I'll confirm this after doing it once.    

Nathaniel Anderson

I will also confirm that even if I'm logged in as user "A", it will license Qlikview for a SVC account "B" to run Qlikview as a task (my business constraints force me to use a Windows Task [executed as a Svc account] to execute a Qlikview reload)...

Nathaniel Anderson

Logged in as user "A", it will modify the user "A" Settings.ini

So if I want that to work for user "B" then I needed to copy paste the Settings.ini  from "A" to overwrite the user "B" folder.

i.e.

C:\users\A\AppData\Roaming\Qliktech\Qlikview\Settings.ini

->

C:\users\B\AppData\Roaming\Qliktech\Qlikview\Settings.ini

Ashfaq Mohammed

Nathaniel Anderson wrote:

Oh! If I get a fresh install on a fresh computer, it is obvious; it will prompt you to enter the license keys:

how_to_install_with_local_developer_license.PNG

But I can't figure out how to get a previously "License Leased" Qlikview installation to forget that it's License Leased!

I tried

• Uninstalling, reinstalling
                                          • Uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling
                                          • Uninstalling, deleting all the Qliktech folders in AppData, restarting, reinstalling
                                          • Uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting the Settings.ini part which referenced the License Leasing

-- It just recreates all those folders! Any advice here?  

If you apply your new license. Lease will be automatically Cancelled.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Ashfaq Mohammed

Nathaniel Anderson wrote:

Once you get the "local" aka "developer license", how do you use it?

Here are examples of the fields I expect when I requested a developer license:

Quote Number

PO Number

Quantity

Product

License Key

Control Number

What do I do with these fields? License Lease has clear instructions, but what about a developer license?

Hi,

You have to use Licence Key and Control Number.

LEF will be automatically downloaded if your machine is connected to internet.

In case not please contact your account manager or contact Qlik Qonciergeservice team below

https://qliksupport.force.com/QS_QlikQonciergeService

regards

ASHFAQ