7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2016 4:11 PM by Rob Burton RSS

    Reload fails due to memory allocation problem

    Laura Sébille

      Hello everyone,

       

      I have an application which fails in QVS with the following message in the log:

       

      Information: Task Dependencies are OK

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Document is marked to be Reloaded with fresh data. Initializing Reload for Distribution.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Opening "\\PRODUCTION.AUTOLIB.EU\DFS\QLIKVIEW_DATA\PROD\Référentiel\Referentiel.qvw"

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Allocating new QlikView Engine. Current usage count=0 of 2 (of type non-reader).

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Max retries:5

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Attempt:01

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Allocated QlikView Engine successfully. Current usage count=1 of 2 (of type non-reader). Ticket number=436.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Loading document "\\PRODUCTION.AUTOLIB.EU\DFS\QLIKVIEW_DATA\PROD\Référentiel\Referentiel.qvw" (0.16 Mb)

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Physical FileSize=0.16 Mb. Memory Allocation Delta for this file=3.62 Mb. Available Physical Memory Before Open=9818.38 Mb. Available Physical Memory After Open=9811.96 Mb. Total Physical Memory=16383.49 Mb.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Attempted to load the document without data.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: The document was loaded successfully.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Document was opened successfully

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: Starting reload

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: QlikView->Settings->Document Peferences->Generate Logfile in document is not set.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: The Source Document is being reloaded. DocumentPath=\\PRODUCTION.AUTOLIB.EU\DFS\QLIKVIEW_DATA\PROD\Référentiel\Referentiel.qvw

      (2014-08-20 14:58:08) Information: The Source Document reload complete. DocumentPath=\\PRODUCTION.AUTOLIB.EU\DFS\QLIKVIEW_DATA\PROD\Référentiel\Referentiel.qvw

      (2014-08-20 14:58:08) Information: Memory Allocation Delta for this file=55.18 Mb. Available Physical Memory Before Reload=9811.95 Mb. Available Physical Memory After Reload=9763.46 Mb. Total Physical Memory=9763.46 Mb.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:08) Error: The Source Document was NOT reloaded successfully. DocumentPath=\\PRODUCTION.AUTOLIB.EU\DFS\QLIKVIEW_DATA\PROD\Référentiel\Referentiel.qvw.

      (2014-08-20 14:58:08) Information: Closing the document.

       

      What does that mean ? What can I do ?

      When I locally reload the application, there is no problem..

        • Re: Reload fails due to memory allocation problem
          Ashfaq Mohammed

          H,

           

          Could be a memory issue.

           

          Can you tell us what does document log says.

          You can enable the same by opening your QlikView Document

          QlikView->Settings->Document Peferences->Generate Logfile



          Can you tell me does it run manually?


          Regards

          ASHFAQ

          • Re: Reload fails due to memory allocation problem
            Erik Gustafsson

            Hi,

             

            Have you checked the DocumentLog for the document? You can set it to become generated for the Server too, thus you may see if there is anything in the script. See attached.

             

            Regards,

            Erik

            • Re: Reload fails due to memory allocation problem
              Michal Kwater

              Hi all,

              (2014-08-20 14:58:07) Information: QlikView->Settings->Document Peferences->Generate Logfile in document is not set.

               

              If you change the setting Generate Logfile in the document properties of the qvw document, you'll get a log file in the same directory the .qvw file lives in. That logfile should give you more information on where the reload broke down.

              • Re: Reload fails due to memory allocation problem
                Rob Burton

                Hi All,

                 

                The issue is to do with the way Qlik uses memory on the servers, each time a document is opened a chunk of memory is allocated, but if the document is either closed or allowed to become dormant, not all of the memory is released. Consequently over time the available memory reduces to such an extent that the server apparently has run out, however as you've already identified restarting the services solves the problem simply because Qlik resets its memory allocation. The server guys at work have been in discussion with Qlik support for months, and so far the only advice we've received is to increase the ram, we've doubled it twice over without increasing the overall usage and still have the same problem, it just takes about a week longer to max out the memory. We've compared our own server monitoring with what Qlik suggests in its log files, and at no point is the server going anywhere near 50% ram usage, so it's neither a server or ram issue, and must be an application issue.

                 

                Im still hopeful that Qlik will resolve the issue, but in the meantime we've deployed a batch job that restarts the services every night, not a great solution really but it works as a sticking plaster.