7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2016 5:31 AM by Kjetil Halvorsen RSS

Can a line chart be made to show continuous x-axis dimensions?

Göran Sander

When dealing with time series data it is pretty common to have hundreds, thousands or even more data points.

I would like to plot such data in a line chart, but the chart always insists on showing the bottom slider.

It allows me to pan around in the data - which is great - but not what I want.

I want to see all the data at the same time. Yes, it would mean that only some labels on the x-axis are shown, but that's fine.

In fact, I would have assumed (hoped!) that Sense would be smart enough to recognise the "Date" field on the x-axis as being just that - dates - and allowing for a more dynamic viewing of data.

Sort of like the continuous option for charts in QV 11.

Is this possible in Sense? Am I missing something?

Thanks

• Re: Can a line chart be made to show continuous x-axis dimensions?
          Michael Tarallo

Hello Goran,

Let me route your concerns and request to PM, as what you are stating - could be a great option for the line chart in controlling how it can display data.

In regards to date identification, there are planned improvements in this area.

One of our team members will follow-up with you.

Mike

• Re: Can a line chart be made to show continuous x-axis dimensions?
            Dan English

Hi Goran,

Continuous Axis is not available in Sense today. Of course you can modify the script to add the missing dimensional values you would like to plot with either zeros or Nulls, but I know that this is not ideal.

We are looking into solutions here, but they may or may not end up being the exact same functionality as was in QlikView.

Can you give me more information about your particular use case? For example is your dimension time based? How many values in your dimension, dozens, millions? Is that dimension part of a natural hierarchy that you would want to move up or down in?

Thanks,

Dan